18/12/12 20:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II has become the first monarch in more than two centuries to attend a cabinet meeting.
The Queen joined Prime Minister David Cameron and his colleagues at his London office, number 10 Downing Street, as part of her diamond jubilee celebrations.
Her visit, as an observer to the weekly meeting, lasted for about 30 minutes.
She was presented with 60 place mats, one for every year of her reign.
A previously-unnamed British section of the Antarctic is also to be renamed Queen Elizabeth Land in her honour.
The visit has stirred some controversy. One constitutional expert described her appearance as
The last monarch to attend a cabinet meeting was George III during the American War of Independence, although one historian claims Queen Victoria also took part in one meeting during her reign.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Eurozone finance ministers and IMF agree a further €10.3bn tranche of bailout funds for Greece.
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 02:51 CET After benefits of cheap oil, India counts cost of reduced Gulf…
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’