With 50 percent youth unemployment in Spain these days we are used to seeing the younger generation protesting on the streets.
But this time it is pensioners.
Worn out by waves of austerity measures, news that their pensions would not be increased in line with inflation was the final straw.
“The Spanish government has broken their electoral committment and the promises they made to the citizens,” said Ignacio Fernandez Toxo of the CCOO union.
“This is not about whether the government is to blame, he says. It is about the suffering this is imposing on the Spanish people.” added Candido Mendez, leader of the UGT.
The centre-right government of Mariano Rajoy is committed to reducing the public deficit by 150 million euros between 2012 and 2014.
The protesting pensioners are the latest social group to show their anger, following in the wake of doctors, teachers and court officials.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
King of Spain dissolves parliament
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq