With 50 percent youth unemployment in Spain these days we are used to seeing the younger generation protesting on the streets.
But this time it is pensioners.
Worn out by waves of austerity measures, news that their pensions would not be increased in line with inflation was the final straw.
“The Spanish government has broken their electoral committment and the promises they made to the citizens,” said Ignacio Fernandez Toxo of the CCOO union.
“This is not about whether the government is to blame, he says. It is about the suffering this is imposing on the Spanish people.” added Candido Mendez, leader of the UGT.
The centre-right government of Mariano Rajoy is committed to reducing the public deficit by 150 million euros between 2012 and 2014.
The protesting pensioners are the latest social group to show their anger, following in the wake of doctors, teachers and court officials.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5UN says downing of MH17 over Ukraine may constitute a ‘war crime’
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 03:23 CET Australian PM Abbott’s tough stance on MH17 paying off – poll
- 02:04 CET Police arrest four in beating death of China grad student near USC
- 01:24 CET Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola…
- 00:59 CET Iraq lays claim to Kurdish crude cargo in Texas court
- 00:16 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 23:32 CET Honduras raids mayor’s homes, finds fancy trucks, peacocks