Cyclone Evan has struck Fiji, the chain of islands in the South Pacific, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.
Before winds of 215 kilometres per hour hit the main island of Viti Levu, more than 3,500 people were moved to emergency shelters.
Fiji’s weather bureau said the speed that the category four storm was moving meant that destructive winds could last several hours.
Power supplies were cut to many areas and the airport was shut, leaving nearly 2,000 tourists stranded.
Australia and New Zealand have put search and rescue personnel on standby.
On Friday, four people were killed and thousands of homes were destroyed when Hurricane Evan hit nearby Samoa.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 03:34 CET Thousands of Kosovars mourn Albanian militants killed in Macedonia
- 03:04 CET Afghan insurgents launch late-night attack on Kabul guesthouse
- 01:23 CET Libyan prime minister says survives assassination attempt
- 23:42 CET Iran nuclear deal unlikely by June 30 – French envoy
- 22:59 CET China to extend military reach, build lighthouses in disputed…
- 22:58 CET Rocket fired from Gaza lands near Israeli port Ashdod – police
- 21:44 CET Italian mafia boss arrested in Brazil after 30 years on the run
- 21:09 CET Libya’s premier Thinni says he survived assassination attempt