Cyclone Evan has struck Fiji, the chain of islands in the South Pacific, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.
Before winds of 215 kilometres per hour hit the main island of Viti Levu, more than 3,500 people were moved to emergency shelters.
Fiji’s weather bureau said the speed that the category four storm was moving meant that destructive winds could last several hours.
Power supplies were cut to many areas and the airport was shut, leaving nearly 2,000 tourists stranded.
Australia and New Zealand have put search and rescue personnel on standby.
On Friday, four people were killed and thousands of homes were destroyed when Hurricane Evan hit nearby Samoa.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 05:20 CET OAS will not hold meeting on Venezuela-Colombia border crisis
- 04:30 CET Fire in Venezuela prison kills 17 people, prosecutor says
- 03:48 CET Analysis – Japan nuclear power outlook bleak despite first reactor…
- 03:01 CET Obama says world must reach climate deal in Paris ‘while we still…
- 02:52 CET Suspect in Houston-area shooting of deputy appears in court
- 02:02 CET IMF approves second disbursement to Ghana
- 01:17 CET Palestinians, Israeli soldier wounded during West Bank raid
- 23:00 CET Car bomb damages Italy’s ENI joint venture office in Libyan capital