Cyclone Evan has struck Fiji, the chain of islands in the South Pacific, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.
Before winds of 215 kilometres per hour hit the main island of Viti Levu, more than 3,500 people were moved to emergency shelters.
Fiji’s weather bureau said the speed that the category four storm was moving meant that destructive winds could last several hours.
Power supplies were cut to many areas and the airport was shut, leaving nearly 2,000 tourists stranded.
Australia and New Zealand have put search and rescue personnel on standby.
On Friday, four people were killed and thousands of homes were destroyed when Hurricane Evan hit nearby Samoa.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:54 CET Bangladesh ex-ruling party leader gets death for war crimes
- 09:39 CET Three more Ukrainian soldiers killed – Kiev military
- 09:31 CET Italy’s Renzi wins regional polls, low turnout sends warning
- 08:56 CET Philippines fines Chinese fishermen $102,000 each for poaching
- 06:56 CET China to force bosses at central government-run firms to reveal…
- 05:37 CET Senior court official says China to continue death penalty reform
- 05:28 CET Multi-national crew reaches space station
- 05:26 CET U.S. Army base in Texas lifts lockdown after suspicious vehicle…