Cyclone Evan has struck Fiji, the chain of islands in the South Pacific, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.
Before winds of 215 kilometres per hour hit the main island of Viti Levu, more than 3,500 people were moved to emergency shelters.
Fiji’s weather bureau said the speed that the category four storm was moving meant that destructive winds could last several hours.
Power supplies were cut to many areas and the airport was shut, leaving nearly 2,000 tourists stranded.
Australia and New Zealand have put search and rescue personnel on standby.
On Friday, four people were killed and thousands of homes were destroyed when Hurricane Evan hit nearby Samoa.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 10:33 CET Turkey’s main opposition accuses Erdogan of blocking coalition…
- 09:57 CET Barnacles on debris could provide clues to missing MH370 – experts
- 09:50 CET Kerry seeks to convince Gulf Arabs on Iran deal
- 09:28 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 08:56 CET Rescuers in Myanmar struggle to reach flood-hit areas, toll seen…
- 08:13 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 06:18 CET Republicans begin pivotal debate week with New Hampshire forum
- 04:05 CET Mexico City prosecutor confirms killing of news photographer