Unverified video uploaded to social networking sites purports to show fighting near Syria’s Yarmouk refugee camp, where Palestinians for and against the regime have been fighting each other.
The largest camp in Damascus, it is where most of Syria’s 500,000 Palestinian refugees live. The camp has also been bombed by the Syrian air force, killing and wounding scores of Palestinians and adding to refugee numbers.
Fighting continues to be fierce around the international airport, a few kilometres south of the capital, Damascus, with rebels desperately trying to strike what they see as definitive blow.
Although he is not part of President Bashar al-Assad’s inner circle, vice president Farouq al-Sharaa has told a pro-regime newspaper that neither the president nor the rebels could win the war outright – the first remark of its kind from a prominent member of the regime.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…