Unverified video uploaded to social networking sites purports to show fighting near Syria’s Yarmouk refugee camp, where Palestinians for and against the regime have been fighting each other.
The largest camp in Damascus, it is where most of Syria’s 500,000 Palestinian refugees live. The camp has also been bombed by the Syrian air force, killing and wounding scores of Palestinians and adding to refugee numbers.
Fighting continues to be fierce around the international airport, a few kilometres south of the capital, Damascus, with rebels desperately trying to strike what they see as definitive blow.
Although he is not part of President Bashar al-Assad’s inner circle, vice president Farouq al-Sharaa has told a pro-regime newspaper that neither the president nor the rebels could win the war outright – the first remark of its kind from a prominent member of the regime.
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 04:38 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters
- 01:42 CET North America leaders mount strong defence of trade despite threats
- 01:34 CET Japan plans July fighter jet tender seen worth $40 billion as…
- 01:03 CET Home-grown militants and ex-major behind Bangladesh attacks…
- 00:48 CET Brazil could dismiss Rousseff the day before Olympics ends