The first funerals are being held today for two of the twenty children gunned down in Friday’s mass shooting at a Connecticut primary school.
The victims – 27 of them in all – were remembered last night at an emotional memorial at a nearby high school in Newtown.
While Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto, who were both six years old, are being laid to rest – a Twitter campaign is urging American schoolchildren to wear green and white – the colours of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Many schools have stepped up security following the massacre as the debate on gun control is stoked by the bloodshed.
One Senator has vowed to introduce new legislation on assault-weapons this week. But gun rights advocates say Connecticut already has some of the strictest gun laws in America.
Henry Brown, a priest and anti-weapons activist is adamant that laws need to be tightened:
“We have nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old kids with guns, so the accessibility to guns -anyone can get a gun – so that’s the thing that has to stop, allowing anybody access to guns.”
Pupil Grace Hobbart said: “I agree that politics should not play any role in this, but guns don’t kill people. People kill people.”
Even in Newtown, many residents say they are not ready to lay down their arms, despite the tragedy.
They want a debate on how to protect to the rights of responsible gun owners, while working to prevent another massacre like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 23:20 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …