The first funerals are being held today for two of the twenty children gunned down in Friday’s mass shooting at a Connecticut primary school.
The victims – 27 of them in all – were remembered last night at an emotional memorial at a nearby high school in Newtown.
While Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto, who were both six years old, are being laid to rest – a Twitter campaign is urging American schoolchildren to wear green and white – the colours of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Many schools have stepped up security following the massacre as the debate on gun control is stoked by the bloodshed.
One Senator has vowed to introduce new legislation on assault-weapons this week. But gun rights advocates say Connecticut already has some of the strictest gun laws in America.
Henry Brown, a priest and anti-weapons activist is adamant that laws need to be tightened:
“We have nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old kids with guns, so the accessibility to guns -anyone can get a gun – so that’s the thing that has to stop, allowing anybody access to guns.”
Pupil Grace Hobbart said: “I agree that politics should not play any role in this, but guns don’t kill people. People kill people.”
Even in Newtown, many residents say they are not ready to lay down their arms, despite the tragedy.
They want a debate on how to protect to the rights of responsible gun owners, while working to prevent another massacre like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:03 CET U.S. to respond to Venezuela’s demand to cut U.S. Embassy staff
- 22:51 CET Israel’s Netanyahu draws rebuke from Obama over Iran speech to…
- 22:33 CET Brazilian judge orders deportation of fugitive Italian leftist
- 22:29 CET Fugitive ex-NSA contractor Snowden seeks to come home – lawyer
- 22:15 CET Kerry visits Riyadh to soothe fears of stronger Iran under nuclear…
- 21:18 CET Ex-CIA chief Petraeus to plead guilty, admits giving mistress…
- 21:17 CET U.S. proposes making Radio Marti, broadcaster to Cuba, independent
- 21:11 CET Five dead in Qaeda suicide attack on Houthis in central Yemen