The first funerals are being held today for two of the twenty children gunned down in Friday’s mass shooting at a Connecticut primary school.
The victims – 27 of them in all – were remembered last night at an emotional memorial at a nearby high school in Newtown.
While Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto, who were both six years old, are being laid to rest – a Twitter campaign is urging American schoolchildren to wear green and white – the colours of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Many schools have stepped up security following the massacre as the debate on gun control is stoked by the bloodshed.
One Senator has vowed to introduce new legislation on assault-weapons this week. But gun rights advocates say Connecticut already has some of the strictest gun laws in America.
Henry Brown, a priest and anti-weapons activist is adamant that laws need to be tightened:
“We have nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old kids with guns, so the accessibility to guns -anyone can get a gun – so that’s the thing that has to stop, allowing anybody access to guns.”
Pupil Grace Hobbart said: “I agree that politics should not play any role in this, but guns don’t kill people. People kill people.”
Even in Newtown, many residents say they are not ready to lay down their arms, despite the tragedy.
They want a debate on how to protect to the rights of responsible gun owners, while working to prevent another massacre like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 5Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:55 CET Russia denies seeking to buy political sway with Hungarian nuclear…
- 19:19 CET Merkel and Hollande edge closer after tragedies
- 18:37 CET Three arrested in connection with Paris killings
- 18:06 CET Georgia president says Russia is threat to regional security
- 18:02 CET Bosnia gets central cabinet after six-month wait, reforms promised
- 17:52 CET Greece fails to reach initial deal on reforms with lenders
- 17:50 CET Spain to reinstate primary healthcare for illegal immigrants
- 17:33 CET Hurricane-strength winds batter northern Europe, hit travel