The first funerals are being held today for two of the twenty children gunned down in Friday’s mass shooting at a Connecticut primary school.
The victims – 27 of them in all – were remembered last night at an emotional memorial at a nearby high school in Newtown.
While Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto, who were both six years old, are being laid to rest – a Twitter campaign is urging American schoolchildren to wear green and white – the colours of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Many schools have stepped up security following the massacre as the debate on gun control is stoked by the bloodshed.
One Senator has vowed to introduce new legislation on assault-weapons this week. But gun rights advocates say Connecticut already has some of the strictest gun laws in America.
Henry Brown, a priest and anti-weapons activist is adamant that laws need to be tightened:
“We have nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old kids with guns, so the accessibility to guns -anyone can get a gun – so that’s the thing that has to stop, allowing anybody access to guns.”
Pupil Grace Hobbart said: “I agree that politics should not play any role in this, but guns don’t kill people. People kill people.”
Even in Newtown, many residents say they are not ready to lay down their arms, despite the tragedy.
They want a debate on how to protect to the rights of responsible gun owners, while working to prevent another massacre like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 04:13 CET Taiwan begins vote testing confidence in China-friendly ruling…
- 03:24 CET Venezuela’s Maduro plans government pay cuts due to oil price slide
- 00:59 CET Three dead in attack and Islamist protests in Egypt
- 23:06 CET Syria says U.S.-led strikes have not weakened Islamic State
- 22:11 CET EU should be able to veto national budgets – Germany’s Schaeuble
- 21:57 CET France’s Hollande warns against isolating Ebola-hit Guinea
- 20:52 CET Cameroon frees Central African rebel chief in exchange for hostages
- 19:53 CET Three foreign workers kidnapped in Nigeria’s delta region