The first funerals are being held today for two of the twenty children gunned down in Friday’s mass shooting at a Connecticut primary school.
The victims – 27 of them in all – were remembered last night at an emotional memorial at a nearby high school in Newtown.
While Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto, who were both six years old, are being laid to rest – a Twitter campaign is urging American schoolchildren to wear green and white – the colours of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Many schools have stepped up security following the massacre as the debate on gun control is stoked by the bloodshed.
One Senator has vowed to introduce new legislation on assault-weapons this week. But gun rights advocates say Connecticut already has some of the strictest gun laws in America.
Henry Brown, a priest and anti-weapons activist is adamant that laws need to be tightened:
“We have nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old kids with guns, so the accessibility to guns -anyone can get a gun – so that’s the thing that has to stop, allowing anybody access to guns.”
Pupil Grace Hobbart said: “I agree that politics should not play any role in this, but guns don’t kill people. People kill people.”
Even in Newtown, many residents say they are not ready to lay down their arms, despite the tragedy.
They want a debate on how to protect to the rights of responsible gun owners, while working to prevent another massacre like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Charges brought over killing of Zimbabwe’s famous ‘Cecil’
Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
Blame game as the migrant Calais crisis deepens
Chile man survives ‘17th floor’ balcony fall
Hermès investigates crocodile farm cruelty claims but denies Birkin bag link
Wires > News
- 08:00 CET Malaysia says almost certain debris discovered is from a Boeing 777
- 07:49 CET Israel authorises force-feeding of hunger-striking prisoners
- 07:32 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty -…
- 07:29 CET Taliban capture district in Afghanistan’s Helmand province
- 07:20 CET Officials study plane debris found off Madagascar for links to…
- 06:51 CET Nepal landslide kills 15 people, death toll may rise: ministry
- 05:39 CET China watchdog says graft risk controls tightened at central bank
- 04:27 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion