Shinzo Abe has led his Liberal Democratic Party to a landslide victory in the Japanese election.
The conservative leader must hit the ground running as the country faces an economic downturn and strained ties with China.
The governing Democratic Party suffered major losses at the ballot box with leader Yoshihiko Noda stepping down.
Abe is under pressure to deliver a feel good factor as Japan goes through its fourth recession since 2000.
Economic policy deadlock has hampered attempts to improve the country’s outlook.
Markets reacted well to the election result with stocks continuing to rise.
Abe, along with coalition partners the New Komeito Party will have a two-thirds majority in the 480- seat chamber.
In the Chinese capital Beijing a shift to right in Japan has raised concerns that the territorial dispute over the uninhabited isles in the East China Sea will escalate:
“Of course it is not good if the Japanese government hardens its policy against China. This will not only create a threat to China, but for the entire Asian region, and therefore the world. We don’t want that,” said one Beijing resident.
After years of Chinese ascendancy and North Korean provocation Japan’s desire to stand up for Japanese sovereignty is once again burning bright.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 3“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 4Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 5Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:11 CET Hurricane-strength winds batter northern Europe, hit travel
- 13:51 CET Greece, lenders, fail to unlock aid so far – officials
- 13:42 CET Turkish special forces enter Istanbul courthouse after prosecutor…
- 13:32 CET France’s National Front struggles to turn popularity into power
- 12:38 CET Thai man jailed for 25 years over royal insult posts on Facebook
- 12:35 CET Islamic State attacks Syrian village, kills 30 – monitor
- 11:56 CET U.S., Kuwait pledge over $1 billion towards Syria crisis
- 11:34 CET Major power outage hits cities and provinces across Turkey