Actor Gerard Depardieu has launched a bitter attack against the French prime minister over claims he has left the country to escape the taxman.
The 63-year-old is the latest wealthy figure to seek shelter abroad since the new Socialist government increased taxes.
In a letter to the weekly Journal du Dimanche, Depardieu rejects the accusations and says he is willing to give up his passport because “success, creation and talent are being penalised.”
It comes after Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault described Depardieu’s behaviour as “pathetic” and unpatriotic at a time when the French are being asked to pay more contributions to reduce a bloated national debt.
Depardieu, one of France’s richest actors, recently bought a house in Nechin, a Belgian village a short walk from the border with France, but a third of its residents are French nationals.
The actor’s move comes three months after Bernard Arnault, chief executive of luxury giant LVMH and France’s richest man, caused an uproar by seeking to establish residency in Belgium – a move he said was not for tax reasons.
Belgian residents do not pay wealth tax, which in France is now levied on those with assets over 1.3 million euros. Nor do they pay capital gains tax on share sales.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 5Germany’s Merkel rebuffs talk of new Greek bailout
- 1Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 5Driving the future: the highlights of Press Day at the Geneva Motor Show
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 08:11 CET Indonesian official rejects Australian death row prisoner swap…
- 08:07 CET Two Germans to be caned, jailed for Singapore train graffiti
- 08:06 CET Kidnapped Iranian diplomat held in Yemen since 2013 freed – Iran…
- 07:38 CET U.S. Syria strategy falters with collapse of rebel group
- 07:15 CET Hillary Clinton’s focus on women’s pay may resonate broadly – poll
- 07:12 CET Embattled Hillary Clinton urges U.S. State Department to release…
- 07:11 CET Syria opposition turns to internal opponents
- 07:02 CET Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South…