North Korea pulled out all the stops to celebrate its successful Wednesday rocket launch, and it is likely the capital Pyongyang will do it all again next week for the first anniversary of Kim Jong-Un’s taking over at the top.
He is already promising this will be the first of many North Korean satellites that will orbit the Earth one day, fulfilling his family dream of making North Korea a “space powerhouse”.
While Kim was photographed running the show from mission control today’s parade to celebrate the launch as a victory featured three other men close to Kim; his Uncle Jang Song-thaek, political strategist Choe Ryong-hae, and the 84 year-old head of the missile programme Ju Kyu-chamg.
They will share in the kudos, and are likely to figure prominently in the regime’s next move.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
IOM says fewer migrants dying on Mediterranean route to Europe
World Humanitarian Summit calls for shift of emphasis from response to prevention of refugee crisis
Wires > News
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes
- 21:11 CET Portuguese, Russian espionage suspects arrested in Rome