Ukraine’s parliament will try again on Thursday to choose a prime minister after the previous day’s attempt was abandoned amid raucous scenes more reminiscent of crowd trouble at a football match.
The vote on Mykola Azarov’s nomination for a second term will be an early test of support for President Yanokovich.
Boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko, leader of the UDAR or Punch party, looked on from outside the ring as politicians from opposition and ruling parties scrapped around the speaker’s rostrum.
Two elected deputies – a father and son – were prevented from taking the oath and physically thrown out after the opposition accused them of defecting to the ruling coalition.
Outside parliament, deputies from the Svoboda far-right nationalists took advantage of parliamentary immunity. Police looked on as they cut down part of a perimeter fence and broke down a door in protest at what they see as parliament’s alienation from the people.
Meanwhile naked feminists from the group FEMEN tried to break into the building, in a demonstration against government corruption.
The protest by deputies from the Batkivshchyna (Fatherland) block was tame by comparison. They appeared in the chamber wearing black sweaters bearing the portrait of former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, their jailed leader.
Thursday’s parliamentary proceedings promise to be interesting.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Wires > News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:58 CET Air strikes on camp for displaced Syrians kill 28, monitor says
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…