Ukraine’s parliament will try again on Thursday to choose a prime minister after the previous day’s attempt was abandoned amid raucous scenes more reminiscent of crowd trouble at a football match.
The vote on Mykola Azarov’s nomination for a second term will be an early test of support for President Yanokovich.
Boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko, leader of the UDAR or Punch party, looked on from outside the ring as politicians from opposition and ruling parties scrapped around the speaker’s rostrum.
Two elected deputies – a father and son – were prevented from taking the oath and physically thrown out after the opposition accused them of defecting to the ruling coalition.
Outside parliament, deputies from the Svoboda far-right nationalists took advantage of parliamentary immunity. Police looked on as they cut down part of a perimeter fence and broke down a door in protest at what they see as parliament’s alienation from the people.
Meanwhile naked feminists from the group FEMEN tried to break into the building, in a demonstration against government corruption.
The protest by deputies from the Batkivshchyna (Fatherland) block was tame by comparison. They appeared in the chamber wearing black sweaters bearing the portrait of former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, their jailed leader.
Thursday’s parliamentary proceedings promise to be interesting.
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 5Germanwings pilot ‘locked out’ of cockpit – crash investigators
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Search resumes for clues as to why Germanwings plane crashed in French Alps
- 3[Live updates] Germanwings crash investigators still searching for second Black Box
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Germanwings crash: Witnesses describe moment of impact
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:00 CET Israeli settlements may have already killed two-state bid – U.N.
- 19:39 CET Displacement doubles in north Cameroon in flight from Boko Haram
- 19:35 CET German police search house of pilot who flew A320 into mountain
- 19:28 CET Rouhani speaks with French, British, Russian leaders as nuclear…
- 19:25 CET Argentine court throws out appeal of decision clearing Fernandez
- 19:01 CET Yemeni leader Hadi leaves country as Saudi Arabia keeps up air…
- 19:00 CET Nigeria’s presidential candidates sign new peace appeal
- 18:42 CET Japanese PM Abe invited to address U.S. Congress on April 29