South Korea has called for tougher sanctions against the North as protests continued against Pyongyang’s rocket launch on Wednesday.
The government in Seoul admitted the operation was successful but again claimed the real reason was to develop a long-range ballistic missile, not as North Korea says, to put a weather satellite into orbit.
The UN Security Council is weighing has condemned the launch in defiance of a ban and is considering its response. The South wants action.
“North Korea ignored the Security Council’s resolutions and international community’s warnings. We believe more advanced measures should be taken than those in April,” said South Korean Foreign Ministry spokseman Cho Tai-Young.
The Defence Ministry in Seoul said some debris from the rocket had been found, and it released a still photo. It said the wreckage looked like the propellant of a long-range missile.
State media in Pyongyang, which have broadcast pictures of the rocket launch, have said immortal revolutionary hymns from the satellite echo in space.
The launch came almost a year after the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5UN says downing of MH17 over Ukraine may constitute a ‘war crime’
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 03:23 CET Australian PM Abbott’s tough stance on MH17 paying off – poll
- 02:04 CET Police arrest four in beating death of China grad student near USC
- 01:24 CET Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola…
- 00:59 CET Iraq lays claim to Kurdish crude cargo in Texas court
- 00:16 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 23:32 CET Honduras raids mayor’s homes, finds fancy trucks, peacocks