While intelligence sources claim Scud missiles have for the first time been used against Syrian rebels, Human Rights Watch is alarmed at the use of incendiary bombs being dropped on populated areas.
Both mark an escalation in President Bashar al-Assad’s struggle to retain power.
Meanwhile at the “Friends of Syria” conference in Morocco, Qatar has urged Assad to accept that rebels seeking his overthrow would eventually defeat him.
Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani told the conference:
“We are now talking about a voluntary exit. I hope that he (Syrian President Bashar al-Assad) has the courage to leave. Is there a safe haven? I believe there is still a chance, but a small one, to have a safe haven for Bashar.”
The meeting ended with Western and Arab nations sympathetic to Syria’s nearly 20-month uprising giving full political recognition to the opposition, reflecting a hardening consensus against the Assad regime.
- 1Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 2German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 3Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 4Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 11French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:06 CET Huge blast, gunfire heard at popular hotel in Mogadishu
- 14:54 CET Russian Orthodox Church suspends priest who blessed Ukraine-bound…
- 14:43 CET Saudi-led campaign strikes Yemen’s Sanaa, Morocco joins alliance
- 14:25 CET After Lee, no sign of welcome home for Singapore’s dissidents
- 14:13 CET Iran, six powers demand mutual concessions in tense nuclear talks
- 13:48 CET Germany passes road toll; critics say unfairly targets foreigners
- 13:20 CET Kenya detains 52 in latest roundup over suspected Islamist attack
- 13:12 CET Syria’s Assad calls chlorine allegations ‘malicious propaganda’ -…