Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow, of The Hurt Locker, has chronicled the 10-year manhunt for Osama bin Laden in her new film Zero Dark Thirty.
Jessica Chastain plays a young CIA agent Maya who locates bin Laden through a long-forgotten courier.
The actress wasn’t able to meet the person her charater is based on as she is an active member of the CIA so relied on co-screenwriter Mark Boal.
She said: “Our screenwriter started as an investigative journalist, so a lot of research came from him – I actually nicknamed him ‘The Professor’. Any question I had, and I had a lot of questions, he answered. I was also able to speak to some people who do things like that, who helped me a lot and I read a lot of books.”
Bigelow – the first woman to win an Academy Award for directing – says she found the most effective way to tell the story was from Maya’s point of view: “There were several women and men pivotal to this hunt. And then realizing that it would be probably the best way to tell the story would be through the eyes of this individual and then put the audience in her position.
“You know, she’s kind of the boots on the ground so-to-speak, taking us through this hunt, taking us through this odyssey and this journey through all these different locations and finally ending up in Abbottabad, Pakistan.”
Zero Dark Thirty opens in the UK towards the end of January.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place