Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow, of The Hurt Locker, has chronicled the 10-year manhunt for Osama bin Laden in her new film Zero Dark Thirty.
Jessica Chastain plays a young CIA agent Maya who locates bin Laden through a long-forgotten courier.
The actress wasn’t able to meet the person her charater is based on as she is an active member of the CIA so relied on co-screenwriter Mark Boal.
She said: “Our screenwriter started as an investigative journalist, so a lot of research came from him – I actually nicknamed him ‘The Professor’. Any question I had, and I had a lot of questions, he answered. I was also able to speak to some people who do things like that, who helped me a lot and I read a lot of books.”
Bigelow – the first woman to win an Academy Award for directing – says she found the most effective way to tell the story was from Maya’s point of view: “There were several women and men pivotal to this hunt. And then realizing that it would be probably the best way to tell the story would be through the eyes of this individual and then put the audience in her position.
“You know, she’s kind of the boots on the ground so-to-speak, taking us through this hunt, taking us through this odyssey and this journey through all these different locations and finally ending up in Abbottabad, Pakistan.”
Zero Dark Thirty opens in the UK towards the end of January.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news