Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow, of The Hurt Locker, has chronicled the 10-year manhunt for Osama bin Laden in her new film Zero Dark Thirty.
Jessica Chastain plays a young CIA agent Maya who locates bin Laden through a long-forgotten courier.
The actress wasn’t able to meet the person her charater is based on as she is an active member of the CIA so relied on co-screenwriter Mark Boal.
She said: “Our screenwriter started as an investigative journalist, so a lot of research came from him – I actually nicknamed him ‘The Professor’. Any question I had, and I had a lot of questions, he answered. I was also able to speak to some people who do things like that, who helped me a lot and I read a lot of books.”
Bigelow – the first woman to win an Academy Award for directing – says she found the most effective way to tell the story was from Maya’s point of view: “There were several women and men pivotal to this hunt. And then realizing that it would be probably the best way to tell the story would be through the eyes of this individual and then put the audience in her position.
“You know, she’s kind of the boots on the ground so-to-speak, taking us through this hunt, taking us through this odyssey and this journey through all these different locations and finally ending up in Abbottabad, Pakistan.”
Zero Dark Thirty opens in the UK towards the end of January.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary