Punch-ups in parliament for a second day as fighting once again broke out amongst Ukrainian politicians.
Thursday’s brawls were caused by opposition members trying to physically block the nomination for a new Speaker. Eventually, Volodymyr Rybak from President Viktor Yanukovich’s ruling Party of Regions was appointed.
One politician who did not take his gloves off is world heavyweight boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko, leader of the UDAR or, aptly-named, Punch party.
“First of all, we should make our point with our heads, not our fists. This is much more important than physical strength. The strengh of thought, of the argument, the willpower are all much more important,” said the boxing supremo.
“So, if you are waiting for me to play an active part in these fights – I won’t do it. Not yet. But if it’s necessary to defend people’s interests – then I will be ready,” Klitschko added.
Wednesday’s clashes were sparked by the opposition’s efforts to stop voting on a second term as prime minister for Yanukovich ally Mykola Azarov.
Despite the previous day of fighting in the chamber, Azarov’s second term has now been approved by parliament. The opposition accuses him of economic mismanagement.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:09 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal
- 18:04 CET At least 63 killed as speeding Congo train derails – government…