13/12/12 20:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Punch-ups in parliament for a second day as fighting once again broke out amongst Ukrainian politicians.
Thursday’s brawls were caused by opposition members trying to physically block the nomination for a new Speaker. Eventually, Volodymyr Rybak from President Viktor Yanukovich’s ruling Party of Regions was appointed.
One politician who did not take his gloves off is world heavyweight boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko, leader of the UDAR or, aptly-named, Punch party.
“First of all, we should make our point with our heads, not our fists. This is much more important than physical strength. The strengh of thought, of the argument, the willpower are all much more important,” said the boxing supremo.
“So, if you are waiting for me to play an active part in these fights – I won’t do it. Not yet. But if it’s necessary to defend people’s interests – then I will be ready,” Klitschko added.
Wednesday’s clashes were sparked by the opposition’s efforts to stop voting on a second term as prime minister for Yanukovich ally Mykola Azarov.
Despite the previous day of fighting in the chamber, Azarov’s second term has now been approved by parliament. The opposition accuses him of economic mismanagement.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
EU 27 meet in Brussels – and the UK is not invited
World condemns Turkey airport attack
Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 36 dead and scores injured
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Wires > News
- 10:00 CET India’s top court refuses to hear gay-sex ban challenge
- 09:17 CET Syria rebels battle IS at Iraqi border, aim to cut ‘caliphate’ in…
- 09:14 CET Malaysian police probe grenade attack, checking credibility of …
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…