Punch-ups in parliament for a second day as fighting once again broke out amongst Ukrainian politicians.
Thursday’s brawls were caused by opposition members trying to physically block the nomination for a new Speaker. Eventually, Volodymyr Rybak from President Viktor Yanukovich’s ruling Party of Regions was appointed.
One politician who did not take his gloves off is world heavyweight boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko, leader of the UDAR or, aptly-named, Punch party.
“First of all, we should make our point with our heads, not our fists. This is much more important than physical strength. The strengh of thought, of the argument, the willpower are all much more important,” said the boxing supremo.
“So, if you are waiting for me to play an active part in these fights – I won’t do it. Not yet. But if it’s necessary to defend people’s interests – then I will be ready,” Klitschko added.
Wednesday’s clashes were sparked by the opposition’s efforts to stop voting on a second term as prime minister for Yanukovich ally Mykola Azarov.
Despite the previous day of fighting in the chamber, Azarov’s second term has now been approved by parliament. The opposition accuses him of economic mismanagement.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:08 CET Nepal seeks help, death toll seen rising after devastating quake
- 01:02 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…