Punch-ups in parliament for a second day as fighting once again broke out amongst Ukrainian politicians.
Thursday’s brawls were caused by opposition members trying to physically block the nomination for a new Speaker. Eventually, Volodymyr Rybak from President Viktor Yanukovich’s ruling Party of Regions was appointed.
One politician who did not take his gloves off is world heavyweight boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko, leader of the UDAR or, aptly-named, Punch party.
“First of all, we should make our point with our heads, not our fists. This is much more important than physical strength. The strengh of thought, of the argument, the willpower are all much more important,” said the boxing supremo.
“So, if you are waiting for me to play an active part in these fights – I won’t do it. Not yet. But if it’s necessary to defend people’s interests – then I will be ready,” Klitschko added.
Wednesday’s clashes were sparked by the opposition’s efforts to stop voting on a second term as prime minister for Yanukovich ally Mykola Azarov.
Despite the previous day of fighting in the chamber, Azarov’s second term has now been approved by parliament. The opposition accuses him of economic mismanagement.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 12:05 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, confirming compliance
- 11:41 CET British lawmakers blame complacency for Taliban attack on base
- 11:32 CET China shadow looms large over bid to scrap Tiananmen crackdown…
- 11:29 CET More than 300 people missing after South Korean ferry sinks -…
- 11:17 CET Former Egypt finance minister released hours after arrest in…
- 10:41 CET Gunmen kill nine in western Ethiopia bus attack – state media
- 09:54 CET Passage of South Stream pipeline via Turkey possible – minister
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…