Punch-ups in parliament for a second day as fighting once again broke out amongst Ukrainian politicians.
Thursday’s brawls were caused by opposition members trying to physically block the nomination for a new Speaker. Eventually, Volodymyr Rybak from President Viktor Yanukovich’s ruling Party of Regions was appointed.
One politician who did not take his gloves off is world heavyweight boxing champion Vitaly Klitschko, leader of the UDAR or, aptly-named, Punch party.
“First of all, we should make our point with our heads, not our fists. This is much more important than physical strength. The strengh of thought, of the argument, the willpower are all much more important,” said the boxing supremo.
“So, if you are waiting for me to play an active part in these fights – I won’t do it. Not yet. But if it’s necessary to defend people’s interests – then I will be ready,” Klitschko added.
Wednesday’s clashes were sparked by the opposition’s efforts to stop voting on a second term as prime minister for Yanukovich ally Mykola Azarov.
Despite the previous day of fighting in the chamber, Azarov’s second term has now been approved by parliament. The opposition accuses him of economic mismanagement.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks
- 23:28 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’
- 23:09 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 22:47 CET U.N. panel tells Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’