There aren’t enough blankets to go around at the refugee camp near the Syrian village of Atmeh close to the Turkish border. Camp residents tussle over the few that are brought in by a truck carrying donations.
There isn’t enough of anything here. The most basic items are in short supply; no toilets, no electricity, and barely enough food.
Around 12 thousand people live in the camp, uprooted by the country’s brutal civil war, and now facing a bitterly cold winter.
Refugee Mariam Ghraibeh said:“By God it is difficult here, There is rain, we live in a tent and there is no heating here. There is not enough food . We don’t have running water. It is unbearable.”
Around 3,000 of those in the camp are under the age of 12.
Abdullah Ahmed was badly injured when his house in Hama was bombed. He said “ We were inside our house and they dropped a bomb onto our home. And the house just exploded.”
The UN estimates that 3 million Syrians have been displaced since the conflict began in March 2011.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 3Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 4Four children among road crash dead near Troyes, France
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling
- 04:46 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 04:44 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 04:24 CET Australian Islamist returns home to surveillance, not jail
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…