There aren’t enough blankets to go around at the refugee camp near the Syrian village of Atmeh close to the Turkish border. Camp residents tussle over the few that are brought in by a truck carrying donations.
There isn’t enough of anything here. The most basic items are in short supply; no toilets, no electricity, and barely enough food.
Around 12 thousand people live in the camp, uprooted by the country’s brutal civil war, and now facing a bitterly cold winter.
Refugee Mariam Ghraibeh said:“By God it is difficult here, There is rain, we live in a tent and there is no heating here. There is not enough food . We don’t have running water. It is unbearable.”
Around 3,000 of those in the camp are under the age of 12.
Abdullah Ahmed was badly injured when his house in Hama was bombed. He said “ We were inside our house and they dropped a bomb onto our home. And the house just exploded.”
The UN estimates that 3 million Syrians have been displaced since the conflict began in March 2011.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Armed police to patrol French beaches
Wires > News
- 11:09 CET Six killed in gun attack on two buses in Kenya’s Mandera
- 10:59 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 10:34 CET Vietnamese scoff at bike-ban plan as motorcycles engulf capital
- 10:31 CET India’s first indigenous combat plane enters service after 33 years
- 10:02 CET Turkish police detain 11 more suspects over airport attack – media
- 09:30 CET Israel should stop settlements, denying Palestinian development -…
- 09:10 CET Lower voting age leaves many wondering ‘Where’s Japan’s Bernie?‘
- 02:16 CET Hopes for democracy crushed in the Chinese rebel village of Wukan