Renault-Nissan has finalised a long-awaited deal to take control of Russia’s AvtoVAZ – best known for its Lada models.
That builds on a partnership which started four years ago.
The French-Japanese group is looking to win sales from rivals in Russia’s growing middle class car buying market.
Chief executive Carlos Ghosn predicted they would have 40 percent of Russia’s market by 2016, up from 30 percent currently.
Russia’s car market has been growing rapidly, supported by a rise in disposable incomes. The country’s middle class has increased from one million in 1999 to between 15 and 30 million, according to recent research by Sberbank.
Car sales in Russia grew 40 percent last year to more than 2.6 million vehicles, recovering most of the ground lost after halving in the post credit-crunch slump of 2009.
While sales growth has been flattening out, overall sales for the year look set to reach around 2.9 million and Ghosn expects yearly sales to reach four million at some point in the 2020s.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 03:30 CET Aurubis flags potential El Nino impact on global copper supply
- 03:22 CET PBOC to inject 150 billion yuan via seven-day reverse repos
- 03:14 CET China August official PMI shrinks to three-year low of 49.7, in…
- 03:10 CET China official services PMI falls to 53.4 in August
- 02:45 CET Oil prices drop more than 3 percent as investors take profits
- 02:29 CET U.S. appeals court says bondholders cannot seize Argentina’s…
- 00:54 CET Apple partners with Cisco to boost enterprise business
- 23:08 CET China expands presence in Hong Kong with 45.61 million pound…