Libyan military prosecutors have accused the former interim leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil of abusing his power. The charge is in connection with the killing of a top field commander during last year’s conflict.
Colonel Abdel Fattah Younes was Muammar Gaddafi’s interior minister before he defected and joined the rebellion. He was killed by gunmen in July 2011.
Mystery has surrounded his death which happened when he was called back from the front line. It was Jalil who explained how he had died at the time.
Younes was welcomed by some into the rebellion and spurned by others. At one point he vied with others for command of the anti-Gaddafi forces.
Disputes and power struggles between factions highlighted the ideological splits within the rebel movement that still endure today.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:11 CET Five dead in Qaeda suicide attack on Houthis in central Yemen
- 21:08 CET Israel’s Netanyahu draws rebuke from Obama over Iran speech to…
- 20:46 CET Haqqani ban still under consideration – Pakistan’s U.S. envoy
- 20:28 CET Obama, European leaders discuss Ukraine, global security
- 20:26 CET Militants take over Libya’s Bahi, Mabrouk oilfields – security…
- 20:21 CET Three dead as Kiev accuses Ukraine rebels of shelling
- 20:14 CET Colombia detains China-flagged ship for illegal arms transport
- 19:53 CET Chilean volcano goes quiet after overnight eruption