Libyan military prosecutors have accused the former interim leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil of abusing his power. The charge is in connection with the killing of a top field commander during last year’s conflict.
Colonel Abdel Fattah Younes was Muammar Gaddafi’s interior minister before he defected and joined the rebellion. He was killed by gunmen in July 2011.
Mystery has surrounded his death which happened when he was called back from the front line. It was Jalil who explained how he had died at the time.
Younes was welcomed by some into the rebellion and spurned by others. At one point he vied with others for command of the anti-Gaddafi forces.
Disputes and power struggles between factions highlighted the ideological splits within the rebel movement that still endure today.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:58 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official