12/12/12 19:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Former Yugloslav intelligence chief Xdravko Tolimir has been sentenced to life in prison for crimes committed during the Balkan war in the mid-1990s.
Arrested in June 2007, the 64-year-old had been on trial at the Hague, accused of offences including genocide.
He was found guilty of playing a key role in the 1995 Srebenica massacre during which eight thousand Muslim men and boys were killed. It was Europe’s worst atrocity since World War Two.
Tolimir has been described by witnesses at the trial as the “right hand man and eyes and ears” of Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic during a conflict that killed 100,000 people.
Mladic himself has also been on trial at the Hague since May, accused of war crimes. He was caught in Serbia last year after spending sixteen years on the run.
Mladic oversaw the siege and bombardment of Sarajevo, in which 12,000 people died.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:55 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China