Former Yugloslav intelligence chief Xdravko Tolimir has been sentenced to life in prison for crimes committed during the Balkan war in the mid-1990s.
Arrested in June 2007, the 64-year-old had been on trial at the Hague, accused of offences including genocide.
He was found guilty of playing a key role in the 1995 Srebenica massacre during which eight thousand Muslim men and boys were killed. It was Europe’s worst atrocity since World War Two.
Tolimir has been described by witnesses at the trial as the “right hand man and eyes and ears” of Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic during a conflict that killed 100,000 people.
Mladic himself has also been on trial at the Hague since May, accused of war crimes. He was caught in Serbia last year after spending sixteen years on the run.
Mladic oversaw the siege and bombardment of Sarajevo, in which 12,000 people died.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 13:48 CET Suicide bomber kills five in attack on British embassy car in…
- 13:46 CET Prince William to make first UK royal visit to China in 30 years
- 13:17 CET Israel says foiled Hamas plans for Jerusalem attacks
- 13:12 CET Iran Supreme Leader says not opposed to extension of nuclear talks
- 13:04 CET Hong Kong student leaders banned from Mong Kok protest site
- 12:47 CET Ten dead in disputed Kashmir’s worst militant attack in more than…
- 12:39 CET Putin, Poroshenko speak on phone about southeast Ukraine – Kremlin
- 12:36 CET Rajoy denies Spain is corrupt after minister resigns in graft case