Former Yugloslav intelligence chief Xdravko Tolimir has been sentenced to life in prison for crimes committed during the Balkan war in the mid-1990s.
Arrested in June 2007, the 64-year-old had been on trial at the Hague, accused of offences including genocide.
He was found guilty of playing a key role in the 1995 Srebenica massacre during which eight thousand Muslim men and boys were killed. It was Europe’s worst atrocity since World War Two.
Tolimir has been described by witnesses at the trial as the “right hand man and eyes and ears” of Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic during a conflict that killed 100,000 people.
Mladic himself has also been on trial at the Hague since May, accused of war crimes. He was caught in Serbia last year after spending sixteen years on the run.
Mladic oversaw the siege and bombardment of Sarajevo, in which 12,000 people died.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 3Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
- 4Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 5‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained