Former Yugloslav intelligence chief Xdravko Tolimir has been sentenced to life in prison for crimes committed during the Balkan war in the mid-1990s.
Arrested in June 2007, the 64-year-old had been on trial at the Hague, accused of offences including genocide.
He was found guilty of playing a key role in the 1995 Srebenica massacre during which eight thousand Muslim men and boys were killed. It was Europe’s worst atrocity since World War Two.
Tolimir has been described by witnesses at the trial as the “right hand man and eyes and ears” of Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic during a conflict that killed 100,000 people.
Mladic himself has also been on trial at the Hague since May, accused of war crimes. He was caught in Serbia last year after spending sixteen years on the run.
Mladic oversaw the siege and bombardment of Sarajevo, in which 12,000 people died.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5Family tragedy shocks America after father kills five children
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 14Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 15Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 16Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:08 CET War may make hundreds of thousands of young Syrians stateless
- 18:42 CET France drops case against Iranian dissidents after 11-year probe
- 18:41 CET West African powerhouse Ivory Coast battles to keep out Ebola
- 18:31 CET Ukraine PM tells army to be on full battle alert despite ceasefire
- 18:19 CET Libyan PM seeks to reassert authority as oil production is hit
- 17:29 CET Exclusive – Iraqi Kurdistan oil heads to Asia, in talks with China
- 17:12 CET France’s Hollande heads for showdown over job deregulation drive
- 17:07 CET Sweden’s Social Democrats want cross-party help to counter…