Ghana’s incumbent President John Dramani Mahama is calling his election win “a victory for all Ghanaians” after the electoral commission confirmed he gained 50.7 percent of the ballot.
Mahama replaced former president John Atta Mills, who died in July.
“John Dramani Mahama brought a lot of credit -people look at his humility, his peaceful nature.
This is the type of person our democracy needs as a president at this stage,” said General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress Aseidu Nketiah.
The result was enough for Mahama to
avoid a run-off with his chief rival Nana Akufo-Addo of the New Patriotic Party, who lost an election in 2008 by less than one percent.
The opposition are alleging fraud in Friday’s election. One NPP leader said he had evidence of electoral workers conspiring to rig tallies.
The failure of newly-introduced fingerprint identification machines caused delays, leading to some polling stations having to reopen on Saturday
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 06:03 CET Captain of stricken Korean ferry may not have been on bridge -…
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake