10/12/12 00:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Ghana’s incumbent President John Dramani Mahama is calling his election win “a victory for all Ghanaians” after the electoral commission confirmed he gained 50.7 percent of the ballot.
Mahama replaced former president John Atta Mills, who died in July.
“John Dramani Mahama brought a lot of credit -people look at his humility, his peaceful nature.
This is the type of person our democracy needs as a president at this stage,” said General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress Aseidu Nketiah.
The result was enough for Mahama to
avoid a run-off with his chief rival Nana Akufo-Addo of the New Patriotic Party, who lost an election in 2008 by less than one percent.
The opposition are alleging fraud in Friday’s election. One NPP leader said he had evidence of electoral workers conspiring to rig tallies.
The failure of newly-introduced fingerprint identification machines caused delays, leading to some polling stations having to reopen on Saturday
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 4Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…
- 13:01 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 12:48 CET Stealing food not a crime if you are homeless and hungry – Italian…
- 12:38 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:24 CET Canadian held for second day after social media criticism of Nepal…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…