Supporter violence in Turkey sank to an all-time low this weekend when police were forced to use tear gas to disperse brawling fans during a wheelchair basketball game between bitter rivals Galatasary and Besiktas.
The match at the Ahmet Comert Sports Hall in Istanbul had already been delayed for half an hour before the start following a court invasion.
But the main bout of violence happened six minutes from the end of the second quarter when Galatasaray were leading 31-26.
Players and staff tried to calm their fans down but their pleas went unheard as both sets of supporters continued to throw missiles at each other and then took the row to the sidelines where wheelchairs were wrecked and other equipment destroyed.
As some players made a sharp exit from the court others could only watch in disbelief. Police managed to disperse the brawling fans but the hooliganism then spread to the hallways of the arena.
Several players and supporters were reportedly hurt in the chaos. The following day at least ten fans were arrested after police reviewed the footage.
Fans of three rival Istanbul clubs – Galatasaray, Besiktas and Fenerbahce – are not allowed to attend away games between these clubs at soccer and basketball games, but the regulation doesn’t apply to other sports. The ban is now likely to cover wheelchair basketball.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 03:27 CET Toyota inks Paralympics sponsorship deal through 2024
- 01:30 CET Ronaldo calls on CBF president to resign
- 00:13 CET United draw leaves Champions League hopes in balance
- 23:55 CET Former boxing champ shot to death during robbery in Atlanta
- 23:53 CET Mandzukic answers critics to send Juve into last 16
- 23:22 CET Real take top spot by thwarting Shakhtar rally
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo