Supporter violence in Turkey sank to an all-time low this weekend when police were forced to use tear gas to disperse brawling fans during a wheelchair basketball game between bitter rivals Galatasary and Besiktas.
The match at the Ahmet Comert Sports Hall in Istanbul had already been delayed for half an hour before the start following a court invasion.
But the main bout of violence happened six minutes from the end of the second quarter when Galatasaray were leading 31-26.
Players and staff tried to calm their fans down but their pleas went unheard as both sets of supporters continued to throw missiles at each other and then took the row to the sidelines where wheelchairs were wrecked and other equipment destroyed.
As some players made a sharp exit from the court others could only watch in disbelief. Police managed to disperse the brawling fans but the hooliganism then spread to the hallways of the arena.
Several players and supporters were reportedly hurt in the chaos. The following day at least ten fans were arrested after police reviewed the footage.
Fans of three rival Istanbul clubs – Galatasaray, Besiktas and Fenerbahce – are not allowed to attend away games between these clubs at soccer and basketball games, but the regulation doesn’t apply to other sports. The ban is now likely to cover wheelchair basketball.
- 1Germany, Spain and England name final 23-man squads for Euro 2016
- 2Messi tax evasion trial begins
- 3Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
- 4Show me the money! Check out the football finance of Euro 2016
- 5Shark attack survivor Hamilton secures career-best third place in Fiji Women’s Pro
- 1Messi tax evasion trial begins
- 2Champions League repeat as Real Madrid once again get better of Atletico
- 3Germany, Spain and England name final 23-man squads for Euro 2016
- 4World Judo Masters 2016: final day of action dishes up thrilling fight-fest
- 5Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
Shark attack survivor Hamilton secures career-best third place in Fiji Women’s Pro
Germany, Spain and England name final 23-man squads for Euro 2016
Show me the money! Check out the football finance of Euro 2016
Messi tax evasion trial begins
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
Wires > Sport
- 08:57 CET Coleman frets over Wales form dip since Euro qualification
- 07:43 CET Sri Lanka’s Kulasekara quits tests to focus on ODIs, T20s
- 07:40 CET Pakistan’s Azhar backs Amir in England return
- 05:42 CET Dizzy sends Boof reeling over Australia coaching link
- 04:49 CET Sonny Bill staying with All Blacks until 2019
- 02:57 CET Hungary set to pack a punch in France
- 02:20 CET Portugal squad for European Championship
- 01:58 CET Albania leave out quartet for Euros