Hundreds of Ukrainian lesbian and gay activists have joined a rally in the centre of Kiev, defying a court order.
Protesters denounced a proposed new law that would ban any positive depiction of homosexuals including gay pride marches.
Clashes broke-out after anti-gay activists tried to disrupt the rally by letting off gas in the crowd.
Several people were arrested.
One protester said: “We came out to protest against the draft law which restricts my personal rights, human rights in general and freedom of the press.”
Another woman was angry that the demonstration had not been approved: “On December 10, it’s World Human Rights Day. But it seems to be irrelevant here in Ukraine. Authorities and their representatives are preventing our supporters from joining us here.”
The so-called “anti-gay propaganda” bill sailed through its first reading in parliament in October.
Under the draft law, anyone who imports, produces or distributes this kind of material could face up to five years in jail.
- 1Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 2‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 3Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 4Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 21:20 CET Belgian flights halted after air traffic power fault
- 21:17 CET Blair to leave Middle East envoy post after years of struggling…
- 21:12 CET Saudi designates two Hezbollah officials as terrorists
- 20:18 CET Nepal recovers more human remains from U.S. chopper crash site
- 20:07 CET France warns Iran over nuclear deal as deadline nears
- 19:58 CET Germany’s Angela Merkel again tops Forbes most powerful women list
- 19:49 CET Islamic State sympathizers may have made airline threats – …
- 19:44 CET Analysis – Emboldened in Syria and Iraq, Islamic State may be…