09/12/12 03:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hundreds of Ukrainian lesbian and gay activists have joined a rally in the centre of Kiev, defying a court order.
Protesters denounced a proposed new law that would ban any positive depiction of homosexuals including gay pride marches.
Clashes broke-out after anti-gay activists tried to disrupt the rally by letting off gas in the crowd.
Several people were arrested.
One protester said: “We came out to protest against the draft law which restricts my personal rights, human rights in general and freedom of the press.”
Another woman was angry that the demonstration had not been approved: “On December 10, it’s World Human Rights Day. But it seems to be irrelevant here in Ukraine. Authorities and their representatives are preventing our supporters from joining us here.”
The so-called “anti-gay propaganda” bill sailed through its first reading in parliament in October.
Under the draft law, anyone who imports, produces or distributes this kind of material could face up to five years in jail.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 36 dead and scores injured
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 09:33 CET India’s top court refuses to hear gay-sex ban challenge
- 09:17 CET Syria rebels battle IS at Iraqi border, aim to cut ‘caliphate’ in…
- 09:14 CET Malaysian police probe grenade attack, checking credibility of …
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…