Hundreds of Ukrainian lesbian and gay activists have joined a rally in the centre of Kiev, defying a court order.
Protesters denounced a proposed new law that would ban any positive depiction of homosexuals including gay pride marches.
Clashes broke-out after anti-gay activists tried to disrupt the rally by letting off gas in the crowd.
Several people were arrested.
One protester said: “We came out to protest against the draft law which restricts my personal rights, human rights in general and freedom of the press.”
Another woman was angry that the demonstration had not been approved: “On December 10, it’s World Human Rights Day. But it seems to be irrelevant here in Ukraine. Authorities and their representatives are preventing our supporters from joining us here.”
The so-called “anti-gay propaganda” bill sailed through its first reading in parliament in October.
Under the draft law, anyone who imports, produces or distributes this kind of material could face up to five years in jail.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 4Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 5MH17 victims to be taken to the Netherlands – Ukraine Deputy PM
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Journey to ‘the end of the Earth’ finds giant crater
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 09:13 CET India to investigate corruption in healthcare after TV sting…
- 09:03 CET China’s secretive military cracks open door for glimpse inside
- 08:41 CET Two Turkish soldiers killed in clash with suspected smugglers near…
- 08:24 CET Three foreign advisers killed near Kabul airport
- 07:56 CET Philippine Catholic bishops tell Aquino to uphold constitution
- 07:11 CET Indonesia’s likely loser in presidential race tries to delay result
- 07:07 CET Fight against domestic violence stalls in patriarchal Turkey
- 06:29 CET Body of fugitive South Korea ferry businessman found, police say