Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez will undergo another cancer operation in Cuba today after doctors said more malignant cells had been found.
The socialist leader has travelled to the island for treatment on three previous occasions. He returned from a three week absence on Friday.
The new surgery raises doubts about his future after winning a new six-year term in office in October. He campaigned the election on the basis that he was free from cancer.
On Saturday Chavez told his supporters to vote for Vice President Nicolas Maduro if his health were to deteriorate. It was the first time the 58-year-old had named a successor.
Maduro, a former bus driver and trade unionist, has been a strong supporter of Chavez and has been at his side during the president’s cancer treatment.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:53 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults: PM Medvedev
- 11:39 CET Islamic State raises flag over citadel in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 11:34 CET Ireland backs gay marriage in historic vote, ministers say
- 09:35 CET China and Peru agree to study transcontinental rail link
- 09:31 CET Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi’ite mosque, Islamic State…
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference
- 03:47 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 03:00 CET Activists damage habitat in Seattle bay during Shell oil protests