Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez will undergo another cancer operation in Cuba today after doctors said more malignant cells had been found.
The socialist leader has travelled to the island for treatment on three previous occasions. He returned from a three week absence on Friday.
The new surgery raises doubts about his future after winning a new six-year term in office in October. He campaigned the election on the basis that he was free from cancer.
On Saturday Chavez told his supporters to vote for Vice President Nicolas Maduro if his health were to deteriorate. It was the first time the 58-year-old had named a successor.
Maduro, a former bus driver and trade unionist, has been a strong supporter of Chavez and has been at his side during the president’s cancer treatment.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 18:58 CET Migrants cling to Hungarian train, lawmakers debate sealing border
- 18:48 CET U.N. to set up inspection regime to ease Yemen humanitarian plight
- 18:43 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 18:41 CET Guatemala’s president quits, faces charges in graft scandal
- 18:39 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 18:37 CET Double suicide bombing in north Cameroon kills 19, wounds 143
- 17:51 CET France offers new farm aid as 1,500 tractors hit Paris streets
- 17:39 CET France says wing part found on Reunion island definitely from MH370