Authorities in Guatemala say they are sending the American software entrepreneur John McAfee back to Belize where he is linked to a murder.
Reports say the move is imminent.
Police arrested him yesterday for illegally entering the country. McAfee fled to Guatemala because police in Belize wanted to question him over the killing of his neighbour, fellow American Gregory Faull.
“The first thing that came to my mind was not that I was set up, but that they had sent a gang of thieves to the wrong house. The government, right. and simply all gringos look alike to the average Creolan, so they thought, oh, this must be him, let’s pop him. I was terrified now that they were coming immediately for me,” said McAfee.
Belize officials say the entrepreneur is wanted as a “person of interest” in the inquiry but is not a prime suspect. McAfee insists he is innocent. There is no international arrest warrant for him.
The 67-year-old, famous for the antivirus software that bears his name, was one of the first from Silicon Valley to make a fortune from the internet.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:41 CET Hagel resigns as U.S. Defense secretary, official says
- 16:24 CET Alleged Sinaloa cartel logistics head to be sentenced in Chicago
- 16:02 CET India’s Congress signals it could back Modi’s insurance reform plan
- 15:57 CET Tunisia presidential vote heads into close run-off
- 15:50 CET Italy’s Renzi wins regional vote, low turnout sends warning
- 15:48 CET Sri Lanka’s Rajapaksa wins 2015 budget vote despite defections
- 15:45 CET Death toll in southern Morocco floods rises to 32
- 15:43 CET Spain arrests three priests, layman in Granada sexual abuse ring