06/12/12 11:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Authorities in Guatemala say they are sending the American software entrepreneur John McAfee back to Belize where he is linked to a murder.
Reports say the move is imminent.
Police arrested him yesterday for illegally entering the country. McAfee fled to Guatemala because police in Belize wanted to question him over the killing of his neighbour, fellow American Gregory Faull.
“The first thing that came to my mind was not that I was set up, but that they had sent a gang of thieves to the wrong house. The government, right. and simply all gringos look alike to the average Creolan, so they thought, oh, this must be him, let’s pop him. I was terrified now that they were coming immediately for me,” said McAfee.
Belize officials say the entrepreneur is wanted as a “person of interest” in the inquiry but is not a prime suspect. McAfee insists he is innocent. There is no international arrest warrant for him.
The 67-year-old, famous for the antivirus software that bears his name, was one of the first from Silicon Valley to make a fortune from the internet.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…