The legendary Oscar Niemeyer has died, just shy of his 105th birthday. Even in the last few days of his life, the Brazilian architect who designed his country’s futurist capital kept working from his Copacabana beach penthouse apartment in Rio de Janeiro. He was considered a national icon.
Niemeyer’s legacy is heavily associated with his communist views. He was an enemy of Brazil’s military dictatorship from the nineteen-sixties to the eighties. Starting in the 1930s, his style evolved toward rounded buildings. His work added sensuality to modernism and fired a global enthusiasm, though his politics meant there were stretches when he was marginalised.
But, he said: “The ultimate task of the architect is to dream…
“Women’s curves have something of my architecture, like the curves of mountains. Whatever I’ve seen that interested me goes into it…
“Curves make up the entire Universe, Einstein’s curved Universe.”
Some called him a “sculptor of monuments”.
Fellow Brazilian architect Mauro Almada said: “Niemeyer’s imitators, none of them ever came close to him, because his architecture is impossible to copy. It is an extremely personal architecture. It didn’t create a school.”
Niemeyer had kidney and stomach trouble and then developed a lung infection this week which caused his death, the hospital said.
He was an atheist, though he built churches and mosques, winning the prestigious Pritzker Prize for Brasilia cathedral.
He was also a bohemian idealist whose first marriage lasted for 76 years, and which he followed by a second.
He said: “I’ve spent my whole life at a drawing board, but life is more important than architecture.”
He also spoke of a “fantastic Universe which humiliates us… in the end, you are born, you die, that’s it!”
Though Niemeyer fit in plenty in between.
- Palacio da Alvorada - Brasilia (Brazil), opening in 1958
- Copan - Sao Paulo (Brazil), opening in 1966
- Metropolitan Cathedral - Brasilia (Brazil), opening in 1970
- The Arnoldo Mondadori S.p.A. headquarters - Milan (Italy), opening in 1975
- National Congress - Brasilia (Brazil), opening in 1987
- Contemporary Art Museum (MAC) - Niteroi (Brazil), opening in 1996
- Niemeyer Center - Avilies (Spain), opening in 2011
- Niemeyer Museum - Curitiba (Brazil), opening in 2003
Slideshow of Oscar Niemeyer’s buildings
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fresh fears about Zika virus after three deaths in Colombia
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 02:57 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least two dead
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…
- 00:12 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 23:53 CET Exclusive – U.S. presidential hopefuls Sanders, Clinton in dead…
- 23:49 CET Guinea journalist killed in clashes between opposition factions
- 23:19 CET U.S., Britain eye letting spy agencies, police seek email, chat…