A waterbag is a flexible container system for freshwater transport.
Engineer Samuele Ambrosetti explained: “You can see here a water bag made from supple PVC, which is used for transporting fresh water by sea. It’s used to supply fresh drinking water to islands and coastal communities without a regular supply of fresh water – in summer for instance.”
The Refresh project consortium chose to test their water bag prototype in Crete. The technology is not new, but the team have developed a new approach.
The General Manager of Ziplast, Gianfranco Germani, said: “For this project we had to develop a new zip that is strong enough to resist the lateral pressure, that is water-proof, and that can resist the hydraulic pressure that can build up in the water bag.”
The zip is one of the key elements of this new generation water bag. The container is made up of several modules which means its capacity can be adjusted according to demand. The different sections are also designed to form a compact shape while under tow.
“This is a medium-sized prototype,” Ambrosetti went on. “It can contain 200 cubic metres of water, which is already considerable. But we think that on a commercial scale our water bag could contain ten times that – in other words, 2,000 cubic metres.”
This type of water storage and transport is also cheap to run. The waterbag is peppered with sensors to warn of any deformation of the container while underway at sea.
The tests conducted in Crete have borne fruit. Once empty, the modular waterbag is easier to disinfect and to transport.
Germani explained: “Lastly, dismantling the waterbag has proved simple, thanks to the way the teeth of the zip undo. That is the removal of the locking mechanism in the middle of the zip. Internal pressure is enough – no need for human intervention.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed