A waterbag is a flexible container system for freshwater transport.
Engineer Samuele Ambrosetti explained: “You can see here a water bag made from supple PVC, which is used for transporting fresh water by sea. It’s used to supply fresh drinking water to islands and coastal communities without a regular supply of fresh water – in summer for instance.”
The Refresh project consortium chose to test their water bag prototype in Crete. The technology is not new, but the team have developed a new approach.
The General Manager of Ziplast, Gianfranco Germani, said: “For this project we had to develop a new zip that is strong enough to resist the lateral pressure, that is water-proof, and that can resist the hydraulic pressure that can build up in the water bag.”
The zip is one of the key elements of this new generation water bag. The container is made up of several modules which means its capacity can be adjusted according to demand. The different sections are also designed to form a compact shape while under tow.
“This is a medium-sized prototype,” Ambrosetti went on. “It can contain 200 cubic metres of water, which is already considerable. But we think that on a commercial scale our water bag could contain ten times that – in other words, 2,000 cubic metres.”
This type of water storage and transport is also cheap to run. The waterbag is peppered with sensors to warn of any deformation of the container while underway at sea.
The tests conducted in Crete have borne fruit. Once empty, the modular waterbag is easier to disinfect and to transport.
Germani explained: “Lastly, dismantling the waterbag has proved simple, thanks to the way the teeth of the zip undo. That is the removal of the locking mechanism in the middle of the zip. Internal pressure is enough – no need for human intervention.”
- 1El Niño is causing havoc in Central America, Asia and Africa
- 2Water-powered motorbike brainchild of Brazilian civil servant
- 3The Astronaut Academy: “This thin blue line makes our planet livable.”
- 4Fit for football: kicking unhealthy lifestyles into touch
- 5Zika virus – race on in the battle find a vaccine
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 18French language revolution in France
- 192015 | archives : euronews
- 20Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”