Iranian TV and other media say an American drone aircraft has been captured after entering the country’s airspace.
They say the unmanned ScanEagle aircraft was gathering information over the Persian Gulf when it strayed into Iranian territory. It is said to have been captured by a Revolutionary Guards naval unit sometime in the last few days but gave no details about how it happened.
However the US navy has denied losing any drones over the Gulf recently.
In November Iran complained to the UN that repeated US violations of its airspace were “illegal and provocative acts”.
Last year Tehran claimed it captured a CIA spy drone after it entered Iranian airspace from its eastern borders with Aghanistan and Pakistan.
The Americans initially said it had become lost before admitting the drone had been monitoring Iranian military and nuclear facilities.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 12:20 CET France refuses asylum request by Wikileaks founder Assange
- 12:04 CET China angered by new U.S. military strategy report
- 11:54 CET Danish government plans to cut refugee benefits to slow migrant…
- 11:43 CET German foreign minister urges quick clarification of reports on…
- 11:32 CET Israel accuses Hamas of aiding Islamic State in Egypt
- 11:19 CET No breakthrough in talks between Iran and nuclear watchdog
- 10:31 CET Quake in rural China kills six, damages thousands of homes
- 09:45 CET Thailand’s first MERS case to leave hospital