Iranian TV and other media say an American drone aircraft has been captured after entering the country’s airspace.
They say the unmanned ScanEagle aircraft was gathering information over the Persian Gulf when it strayed into Iranian territory. It is said to have been captured by a Revolutionary Guards naval unit sometime in the last few days but gave no details about how it happened.
However the US navy has denied losing any drones over the Gulf recently.
In November Iran complained to the UN that repeated US violations of its airspace were “illegal and provocative acts”.
Last year Tehran claimed it captured a CIA spy drone after it entered Iranian airspace from its eastern borders with Aghanistan and Pakistan.
The Americans initially said it had become lost before admitting the drone had been monitoring Iranian military and nuclear facilities.
Wires > News
- 02:50 CET Syrian opposition negotiator quits after peace talks’ failure
- 22:25 CET Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage
- 21:30 CET Rubio warms to Trump, but won’t be his vice president
- 21:25 CET Jordan’s King Abdullah dissolves parliament, names caretaker PM
- 20:43 CET Brother of man killed in U.S. strike on Taliban chief files police…
- 19:09 CET U.N. concerned about rising political tensions in Cambodia
- 19:03 CET Five U.N. soldiers killed in central Mali attack
- 19:02 CET Merkel, Hollande together mark 100 years since Verdun battle