Iranian TV and other media say an American drone aircraft has been captured after entering the country’s airspace.
They say the unmanned ScanEagle aircraft was gathering information over the Persian Gulf when it strayed into Iranian territory. It is said to have been captured by a Revolutionary Guards naval unit sometime in the last few days but gave no details about how it happened.
However the US navy has denied losing any drones over the Gulf recently.
In November Iran complained to the UN that repeated US violations of its airspace were “illegal and provocative acts”.
Last year Tehran claimed it captured a CIA spy drone after it entered Iranian airspace from its eastern borders with Aghanistan and Pakistan.
The Americans initially said it had become lost before admitting the drone had been monitoring Iranian military and nuclear facilities.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
UK: who are the Famous Five?
Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
Istanbul attack: suspected bombers ‘from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’
Boris Johnson pulls out of race to be UK PM
Boris Johnson says he won’t run to be next UK prime minister
Wires > News
- 17:27 CET West cooperating secretly with Damascus against militants – Assad
- 17:18 CET Hungary minister says might vote to quit EU if government held…
- 17:10 CET Yugoslav tribunal upholds sentences against Bosnian Serbs
- 16:58 CET Slovakia says western members can’t dictate EU future after Brexit
- 16:55 CET British American Tobacco vows to investigate child workers in…
- 16:51 CET Human smugglers hail Uber drivers to take migrants to U.S.-Mexico…
- 16:45 CET Best foot forward – Thai elephant gets her ninth prosthetic leg
- 16:44 CET Islamic State kills Christian priest in Egypt’s North Sinai