Appalling weather conditions in the Black Sea have proved fatal for shipping near Istanbul.
The coal freighter Volgo Balt 199 sank in heavy seas with the loss of at least one crewmember.
Another cargo vessel, the BBC Adriatic, was foundering nearby in high seas with 14 crewmembers on board after a mechanical failure.
The vessel that sank sent a mayday in the early morning. Two rescuers also died after hitting rocks while answering the distress message. One was a fisherman.
It happened near the northern end of the Bosphorus Strait, one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.
Four crew were rescued, but seven of the Ukrainian and Russian ship’s company are still missing.
Turkey’s transport minister said rescue efforts by helicopters and coastguard ships were being hampered by increasingly bad weather.
The channel is the only way Black Sea countries can ship their goods out, and that includes Russian oil and grain.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:28 CET China likely will never open all files on painful past, official…
- 11:09 CET Japan to send team to North Korea for update on abductions
- 10:30 CET Japanese PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit
- 10:10 CET Reform-minded outsider Widodo takes over as Indonesia’s president
- 09:48 CET U.S. military says air-drops weapons for Kurdish fighters near…
- 09:28 CET Polish president wants euro decision after 2015 vote – report
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98