Appalling weather conditions in the Black Sea have proved fatal for shipping near Istanbul.
The coal freighter Volgo Balt 199 sank in heavy seas with the loss of at least one crewmember.
Another cargo vessel, the BBC Adriatic, was foundering nearby in high seas with 14 crewmembers on board after a mechanical failure.
The vessel that sank sent a mayday in the early morning. Two rescuers also died after hitting rocks while answering the distress message. One was a fisherman.
It happened near the northern end of the Bosphorus Strait, one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.
Four crew were rescued, but seven of the Ukrainian and Russian ship’s company are still missing.
Turkey’s transport minister said rescue efforts by helicopters and coastguard ships were being hampered by increasingly bad weather.
The channel is the only way Black Sea countries can ship their goods out, and that includes Russian oil and grain.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 2Rescuers in China get aid through to quake-struck village on foot
- 3Two gunmen shot dead at art show featuring Mohammad cartoons in Texas
- 4Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 5UK election: still too close to call, according to latest polls
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Saudi king says setting up centre to coordinate Yemen humanitarian…
- 13:51 CET China says Philippines violating South China Sea code
- 13:07 CET Gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas monitored for years
- 12:39 CET France, Saudi Arabia – Iran nuclear deal must be verifiable, no…
- 12:35 CET Burundi’s top court says president can run again, angering…
- 12:28 CET U.N. envoy says invited Syria opposition fighters to Geneva talks
- 12:13 CET India to sign port deal with Iran, ignoring US warning against…
- 12:01 CET U.S. Secretary of State makes surprise visit to Somali capital