04/12/12 19:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
More than 50 people are reported to have been killed after a typhoon hit the Philippines.
Typhoon Bopha brought winds gusting to more than 200 kilometres per hour that caused flash-floods and landslides on the southern island of Mindanao.
Authorities moved quickly to get people to safety. More than 155-thousand people have taken refuge in shelters.
One refugee said: “I was in the kitchen, then I heard a crack. Something fell on the whole house. Everything collapsed.”
Local media reported some people were swept away in rivers swollen by an enormous quantity of rain that descended on the island.
One feature of Typhoon Bopha is a storm cloud covering that is 500 kilometres across.
A group of 13 fishermen who had been retrieving their catch from offshore nets had to be rescued when the ferocity of the storm took them by surprise. Off the eastern coast, four more fishermen were reported missing.
Authorities had cut the power early to reduce the risk of electrocution and fire breaking out.
The Philippines sees about 20 typhoons per year. This one is now heading for the South China Sea.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Khomeini grandson loses appeal to stand in Iranian election
- 13:11 CET Stalin-era prison chief jailed for 20 years in Romania
- 13:06 CET Syrian rebels demand U.S. action ahead of peace talks
- 12:46 CET Afghan police officer killed after firing on coalition troops
- 12:42 CET At least six killed at Cameroon funeral by two suicide attackers
- 12:23 CET Kremlin critic Mikhail Kasyanov says life threatened in Moscow…
- 12:08 CET Indian scientists express doubt over meteorite death attribution
- 12:02 CET France’s Fabius leaves office, wider reshuffle due