04/12/12 19:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
More than 50 people are reported to have been killed after a typhoon hit the Philippines.
Typhoon Bopha brought winds gusting to more than 200 kilometres per hour that caused flash-floods and landslides on the southern island of Mindanao.
Authorities moved quickly to get people to safety. More than 155-thousand people have taken refuge in shelters.
One refugee said: “I was in the kitchen, then I heard a crack. Something fell on the whole house. Everything collapsed.”
Local media reported some people were swept away in rivers swollen by an enormous quantity of rain that descended on the island.
One feature of Typhoon Bopha is a storm cloud covering that is 500 kilometres across.
A group of 13 fishermen who had been retrieving their catch from offshore nets had to be rescued when the ferocity of the storm took them by surprise. Off the eastern coast, four more fishermen were reported missing.
Authorities had cut the power early to reduce the risk of electrocution and fire breaking out.
The Philippines sees about 20 typhoons per year. This one is now heading for the South China Sea.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 01:05 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 00:37 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…