With her re-election as head of Germany’s CDU Conservatives with an uncontested 98% of the vote, a record, Angela Merkel appears unassailable just ten months away from what she hopes will be her third General Election victory in a row.
She spoke for about an hour at the party’s Congress in a keynote speech that bristled with campaigning intent.
“The CDU-led government is the most successful German government since reunification, because we have the lowest jobless rate since 1990 and the highest employment ever. We have created work and security for millions of people and families,” she claimed.
So in command of her party is she that she felt able to launch a barb at her coalition partners the FDP, who will not have been laughing at her unusual foray into humour.
“A satirical programme has really said what I feel in my heart when they said: Maybe God created the liberal-democrats only to test us and make our lives complicated,” she said, letting the phrase hang for comic effect. At the end she was treated to an eight-minute standing ovation.
One complication that may arise come next autumn is an FDP too weak to give Merkel an overall majority, in which case she might have to seek an alliance with the Greens, or another dreaded “big coalition” with the Social Democrats. But much can change until then.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 09:20 CET Japan offers vessels to Vietnam to boost its sea strength
- 09:12 CET Algerian capital hit by 5.5 quake, no reports of damage
- 09:07 CET Gas blast in Taiwan kills 25, injures 267, topples buildings
- 07:57 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 06:35 CET China’s Xi pledges hard strike against military corruption
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729