With her re-election as head of Germany’s CDU Conservatives with an uncontested 98% of the vote, a record, Angela Merkel appears unassailable just ten months away from what she hopes will be her third General Election victory in a row.
She spoke for about an hour at the party’s Congress in a keynote speech that bristled with campaigning intent.
“The CDU-led government is the most successful German government since reunification, because we have the lowest jobless rate since 1990 and the highest employment ever. We have created work and security for millions of people and families,” she claimed.
So in command of her party is she that she felt able to launch a barb at her coalition partners the FDP, who will not have been laughing at her unusual foray into humour.
“A satirical programme has really said what I feel in my heart when they said: Maybe God created the liberal-democrats only to test us and make our lives complicated,” she said, letting the phrase hang for comic effect. At the end she was treated to an eight-minute standing ovation.
One complication that may arise come next autumn is an FDP too weak to give Merkel an overall majority, in which case she might have to seek an alliance with the Greens, or another dreaded “big coalition” with the Social Democrats. But much can change until then.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 2Denmark bridge collapse blocks motorway
- 3Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 4Catalan independence put on hold: Constitutional court suspends vote
- 5Photos show abuse of asylum seekers by security guards in Germany
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 14Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 15EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:35 CET Obama, Modi vow to boost strategic ties, create model for world
- 07:14 CET U.S.-led air strikes pose problem for Assad’s moderate foes
- 06:22 CET South Korea sightseeing ship runs aground, 110 rescued
- 05:06 CET Seven Ukrainian soldiers killed in rebel attack, straining…
- 04:38 CET Australian police charge man over funding ‘terrorist organisation‘…
- 03:37 CET Israel PM tries to shift focus from Islamic State to Iran at U.N.
- 01:35 CET Brazil’s Rousseff extends lead over Silva in election poll
- 00:36 CET U.S. military to quickly ramp up Ebola mission in Liberia