Former Tour de France winner Greg Lemond has said he is willing to run for president of cycling’s world governing body the UCI on an interim basis.
The 51-year-old American, who won the Tour in 1986, 1989 and 1990, has been highly-critical of the UCI’s failure to tackle doping head on, notably the handling of the Lance Armstrong doping scandal which was brought to light by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.
Along with lobby group “Change Cycling Now” who are campaigning to clean up cycling Lemond has called for UCI president Pat McQuaid to quit.
Lemond said: “There was a huge amount of political pressure to put all of this under the rug and they (USADA) did an amazing job. The sad thing (is) it took that long to do. I mean the fact was Armstrong was positive in 1999, they were under investigation in 2000. I mean it’s all been there. It’s sad that… that’s why the UCI needs to be held accountable.’‘
After Armstrong was stripped of his titles Lemond is the only American to win the Tour de France. He is now setting his sights on another victory – the UCI presidential elections in March.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 03:53 CET Australia wrong to drop Haddin for third test – Ponting
- 01:30 CET Mexico fire coach Herrera after alleged punching incident
- 23:41 CET Family of black golf legend Sifford accused of stealing $1 million
- 21:36 CET Woods sees game coming together after ‘frustrating’ season
- 20:17 CET Nigeria target German model in bid to revive fortunes
- 20:08 CET Diaby agrees deal to join Marseille
- 19:27 CET Boston activist group credited for defeating Olympics pitch
- 18:22 CET Berlin hosting “Jewish Olympics” in stadium Hitler built