Former Tour de France winner Greg Lemond has said he is willing to run for president of cycling’s world governing body the UCI on an interim basis.
The 51-year-old American, who won the Tour in 1986, 1989 and 1990, has been highly-critical of the UCI’s failure to tackle doping head on, notably the handling of the Lance Armstrong doping scandal which was brought to light by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.
Along with lobby group “Change Cycling Now” who are campaigning to clean up cycling Lemond has called for UCI president Pat McQuaid to quit.
Lemond said: “There was a huge amount of political pressure to put all of this under the rug and they (USADA) did an amazing job. The sad thing (is) it took that long to do. I mean the fact was Armstrong was positive in 1999, they were under investigation in 2000. I mean it’s all been there. It’s sad that… that’s why the UCI needs to be held accountable.’‘
After Armstrong was stripped of his titles Lemond is the only American to win the Tour de France. He is now setting his sights on another victory – the UCI presidential elections in March.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 14:51 CET United to give De Gea chance to reclaim spot – reports
- 14:25 CET Chelsea ties up with India’s Wipro in digital, fan engagement drive
- 14:19 CET Germany out to burst Poland’s euphoria bubble, says Loew
- 13:34 CET Samoan lock to miss World Cup opener after punch
- 12:48 CET Adebayor excluded from Spurs’ Europa League squad
- 12:45 CET Los Angeles bid is ‘new start’ for all, says LA mayor
- 12:44 CET Froome withdraws from Vuelta after heavy crash
- 12:21 CET Spain’s ‘English’ posse primed for Slovakia test