Congolese troops have returned to Goma as the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo re-established control of the key city.
Under a regionally brokered deal the M23 rebel movement pulled its fighters out but warned they would retake it if the government fails to meet their demands within 48 hours.
The rebels left Goma eleven days after seizing it and the city of Sake vowing to topple DR Congo President Joseph Kabila.
Their retreat back to a 20 kilometre buffer zone is dependent upon the start of negotiations with the government and the release of political prisoners.
On the whole locals in Goma and Sake have been glad to see the back of the rebels.“I’m very happy to see government forces in the city. M23 were harassing civilians and killed two people that I saw with my own eyes. I’m happy to see the soldiers back in the city and hope everything will be ok,” said one Sake resident.
Meanwhile a UN document has raised fresh allegations that neighbouring Rwanda is fuelling ethnic tensions in the country supplying rebels with troops and weapons.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:21 CET Kenya hits out at Britain’s tougher travel warning
- 17:06 CET Saudi blogger Badawi views survival of 50 lashes as miracle -…
- 16:20 CET Pakistan militants deny 30 killed in renewed Khyber fighting
- 15:17 CET At least eight killed by gunmen in northeast Nigeria – …
- 14:51 CET Bangladesh central bank governor says banks to be investigated for…
- 13:15 CET Three more Kenyan ministers vacate office to allow graft probe
- 13:01 CET Four Iraqi soldiers killed fighting with Islamic State in Tikrit
- 12:55 CET Somalia hotel siege ends, 14 dead – government