A bomb has exploded at the offices of a far-right political party close to the Greek capital Athens.
No one was injured in the blast at the local Golden Dawn headquarters, but police say the explosion caused a lot of damage.
The Golden Dawn, riding high on a wave of public fury at austerity, corrupt politicians and illegal immigration is now the third biggest party in the cash-strapped nation.
At the June election Golden Dawn support was running at 7 per cent, by October it had doubled.
Many in Greece want the party banned because of rhetoric and emblems that mimic those of the Nazi party and the 1967-1974 Greek military junta.
The Golden Dawn reject the comparisons.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:28 CET China likely will never open all files on painful past, official…
- 11:09 CET Japan to send team to North Korea for update on abductions
- 10:30 CET Japanese PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit
- 10:10 CET Reform-minded outsider Widodo takes over as Indonesia’s president
- 09:48 CET U.S. military says air-drops weapons for Kurdish fighters near…
- 09:28 CET Polish president wants euro decision after 2015 vote – report
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98