A bomb has exploded at the offices of a far-right political party close to the Greek capital Athens.
No one was injured in the blast at the local Golden Dawn headquarters, but police say the explosion caused a lot of damage.
The Golden Dawn, riding high on a wave of public fury at austerity, corrupt politicians and illegal immigration is now the third biggest party in the cash-strapped nation.
At the June election Golden Dawn support was running at 7 per cent, by October it had doubled.
Many in Greece want the party banned because of rhetoric and emblems that mimic those of the Nazi party and the 1967-1974 Greek military junta.
The Golden Dawn reject the comparisons.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Saudi Arabia says Islamic State ordered attack on Shi’ites in…
- 19:46 CET U.N. to miss December 1 Ebola target due to rising Sierra Leone…
- 19:39 CET Suspected Boko Haram militants attack Nigerian border town
- 19:28 CET Women City centres bring hope to El Salvador’s abused women
- 19:15 CET Hagel resigns as U.S. defence secretary
- 18:27 CET Turkey, U.S. ease strains on Islamic State but differences remain
- 18:23 CET ‘Handful’ of Libyan troops claim asylum in UK after training -…
- 18:11 CET Britain says it is reviewing arms exports to Israel again