03/12/12 18:07 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands of trucks and cars are once again stuck in a crippling traffic jam on the M-10 motorway linking Moscow to St Petersburg. The tailback began on Friday due to bad weather and stretched as far as 140 kilometres.
Authorities say the road began to clear until a truck broke down. The traffic jam is now some 40 kilometres long:
“We were stuck back there and there was a car with three little kids in the back. We gave them some bread they were so hungry they ate it as though it were chocolate,” said one irate trucker.
Thousands of drivers have been stuck without supplies for hours in temperatures of well below freezing.
The Russian government has admitted the country’s road network is not fit for purpose.
To add to the misery weather forecasts suggest more snow is on the way.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 12:04 CET China says U.S. ‘Great Wall’ remark shows misunderstanding of…
- 11:42 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 11:40 CET Putin may meet Obama at G20 in September – RIA
- 11:19 CET Beijing slams South China Sea case as court ruling nears
- 11:18 CET Turkey’s position will be stronger in post-Brexit EU – Turkish …
- 11:14 CET Boko Haram suicide bomber kills 11 at mosque in Cameroon
- 11:01 CET Turkish police detain 13 people over Istanbul airport attack -…
- 10:58 CET Mongolian opposition wins landslide, voters fed up with hard times