Japan has begun deploying a surface-to-air missile defence system and placed its armed forces on standby in response to North Korea’s decision to launch a long-range rocket, later this month.
A Japanese naval vessel is en-route to Okinawa with an advanced Patriot defence system onboard.
It is believed the North Korean rocket will pass over the Okinawa island chain.
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, wants an international response to the perceived threat. He said: “We will work closely and discuss with the United States, South Korea, China, Russia and other relevant countries, and strongly call on North Korea to refrain from the planned launch.”
North Korea said it will launch the rocket between December 10 and 22 to put a satellite into orbit.
Pyongyang’s previous attempt to launch a satellite ended in failure after it exploded shortly after lift off.
The test is to mark the first anniversary of the death of former North Korean dictator Kim Jong iL.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 9Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 14Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 15British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 16Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 17The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 18Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:55 CET Gulf Arabs demand return of state authority in Yemen
- 06:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. nears solution for safe disposal of Ebola waste
- 05:35 CET Mexico arrests drug lord Beltran Leyva posing as businessman
- 03:58 CET Palestinians draft U.N. resolution on ending Israel occupation
- 03:06 CET Greenland votes to hold parliamentary election in November
- 03:01 CET Greenland’s parliament votes to hold parliamentary election
- 01:16 CET Mexico captures drug lord Beltran Leyva – government source
- 01:08 CET Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital