Japan has begun deploying a surface-to-air missile defence system and placed its armed forces on standby in response to North Korea’s decision to launch a long-range rocket, later this month.
A Japanese naval vessel is en-route to Okinawa with an advanced Patriot defence system onboard.
It is believed the North Korean rocket will pass over the Okinawa island chain.
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, wants an international response to the perceived threat. He said: “We will work closely and discuss with the United States, South Korea, China, Russia and other relevant countries, and strongly call on North Korea to refrain from the planned launch.”
North Korea said it will launch the rocket between December 10 and 22 to put a satellite into orbit.
Pyongyang’s previous attempt to launch a satellite ended in failure after it exploded shortly after lift off.
The test is to mark the first anniversary of the death of former North Korean dictator Kim Jong iL.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 06:56 CET China to force bosses at central government-run firms to reveal…
- 05:37 CET Senior court official says China to continue death penalty reform
- 05:28 CET Multi-national crew reaches space station
- 05:26 CET U.S. Army base in Texas lifts lockdown after suspicious vehicle…
- 05:18 CET Mexico summons Uruguay ambassador over president’s comments on…
- 01:05 CET Afghan women excluded from peace talks with Taliban – aid agency
- 00:01 CET Landmark Tunisian presidential election seen heading for run-off
- 23:20 CET Portugal ex-PM Socrates still in custody, more questioning on…