Taliban suicide bombers have struck outside a major US base in Afghanistan, killing five people.
Local police said the multiple attacks around the entrance to an airfield in Jalalabad involved nine bombers.
Two detonated a car bomb at the gate, while seven others were killed in a two-hour gun battle with Afghan and coalition forces.
Three Afghan soldiers and two civilians were killed.
The attack comes as NATO troops gradually hand over security to Afghan forces ahead of a full withdrawal in 2014.
The base saw a similar attack in February which killed nine people.
Wires > News
- 01:32 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…
- 01:18 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media
- 23:58 CET UAE frees Canadian man acquitted of militancy, set to leave Weds
- 23:01 CET Philippines president-elect says won’t rely on United States
- 23:00 CET OAS head moves to suspend Venezuela from regional group
- 22:41 CET Leader of Western Sahara independence movement dies after illness
- 22:40 CET Italy court upholds Costa Concordia captain’s 2012 shipwreck…
- 22:35 CET Far-right parties winning over some Jewish voters, top rabbi warns