Taliban suicide bombers have struck outside a major US base in Afghanistan, killing five people.
Local police said the multiple attacks around the entrance to an airfield in Jalalabad involved nine bombers.
Two detonated a car bomb at the gate, while seven others were killed in a two-hour gun battle with Afghan and coalition forces.
Three Afghan soldiers and two civilians were killed.
The attack comes as NATO troops gradually hand over security to Afghan forces ahead of a full withdrawal in 2014.
The base saw a similar attack in February which killed nine people.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 4Brothers to stand-in for late Fast and Furious star Paul Walker
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 03:00 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking
- 02:43 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 02:13 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.-Japan summit
- 01:57 CET U.S. calls for more investment-friendly Indian government
- 01:52 CET Graft trial of son of Senegal’s ex-president to start in June
- 01:14 CET Brazil’s leader holds wide lead six months from election – survey
- 00:09 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed, eight…
- 23:19 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed