The UN General Assembly has decided to upgrade Palestine from an observer to non-member status.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas was one of many overjoyed inside the Assembly gathering in New York.
The one hundred and ninety-three member states voted overwhelmingly in favour, with a hundred and thirty-eight saying ‘yes’, forty-one abstentions and nine saying ‘no’ – the most noticeable of which came from Israel and the US.
Speaking before the ballot, Abbas criticised Israel for the recent violence in Gaza. However, he also said: “We are not here to take away the legitimacy of a state, which has existed for decades – that is Israel. We are here to ask for legitimacy for a state which has to born the soon as possible – and that is Palestine. We are asking the world one direct question today – are we considered an extra people which has no place in the region?”
Unlike at the Security Council, where the bid for Palestinian full membership was blocked last year, there’s no veto in the General Assembly and the two thirds majority vote needed was easily accomplished.
Even before voting began, there were celebrations on the streets of Ramallah. Now Palestinians are more happy following a decision they imagine could bring them a step closer to an independent state. Perhaps it is fitting that the ballot that went in their favour was held on Palestinian Solidarity Day.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Jailed Kurdish leader calls for and end to the PKK’s armed struggle against Turkey
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-islamisation’ march in northeastern England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 15Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:23 CET Egypt election committee working on new poll timetable
- 13:19 CET Kurdish rebels call disarmament move historic, want Turkey to step…
- 13:17 CET Schaeuble expects Germany to boost spending on defence, security
- 13:10 CET Three arrested at Hong Kong anti-China protest, scuffles with…
- 12:47 CET Mali signs peace deal, rebels want more time for consultation
- 12:40 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen release two arrested over Islamist…
- 11:43 CET CCTV shows British schoolgirls at Istanbul bus station on way to…
- 11:30 CET Bangladesh pays tribute to U.S. blogger killed in machete attack