30/11/12 17:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Russian authorities have arrested five serving and former prison guards amid a national controversy over brutality by officers in the country’s jails.
The authorities say the guards, from a prison in the southern city of Novocherkaask, had beaten up an inmate by kicking and punching him.
Two of the detained guards no longer work at the jail. Three other guards are under investigation.
In a separate case, the alleged mistreatment of inmates was behind a protest last weekend in the Ural Mountains town of Kopeysk in the eastern Chelyabinsk region.
Human rights activists say violence in Russian prisons has grown recently.
“Unfortunately the law enforcement and penitentiary system in the Chelyabinsk region is widely known at home and abroad. In 2008 four inmates were killed and local prison chiefs tried to falsify the evidence,” said the Russian Human Rights Ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
The protest in Kopeysk resulted in at least 38 arrests on public order offences. Riot police were accused of attacking a group of inmates’ relatives.
Hundreds had gathered outside the jail after visits were refused. They also claimed that conditions were bad and that prisoners had been beaten and humiliated by officers.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:24 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army
- 12:04 CET China says U.S. ‘Great Wall’ remark shows misunderstanding of…
- 11:42 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 11:40 CET Putin may meet Obama at G20 in September – RIA