30/11/12 21:29 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Despite a petition against it signed by thousands of people, the electronic Christmas tree has gone up in Brussels and is causing a mixture of reactions.
Campaigners against the installation wanted a more traditional tree in Brussels’ Grand Place, but the tourist board said they wanted to “emphasize culture and modernity” this year.
Two Russian tourists standing in Grand Place couldn’t agree on whether or not they like the tourism board’s new approach.
Christian Piem from Belgium was unequivocal: “It’s awful, awful and shameful of the councillors who decided to set up here, on the Grand Place. It’s such a horror.”
The tree is a 25-metre installation made from screens that put on light and sound displays and is supposed to be a reinterpretation of the traditional Christmas tree.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 09:06 CET U.S.-backed Syrian rebels clash with IS fighters in border town -…
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down