Despite a petition against it signed by thousands of people, the electronic Christmas tree has gone up in Brussels and is causing a mixture of reactions.
Campaigners against the installation wanted a more traditional tree in Brussels’ Grand Place, but the tourist board said they wanted to “emphasize culture and modernity” this year.
Two Russian tourists standing in Grand Place couldn’t agree on whether or not they like the tourism board’s new approach.
Christian Piem from Belgium was unequivocal: “It’s awful, awful and shameful of the councillors who decided to set up here, on the Grand Place. It’s such a horror.”
The tree is a 25-metre installation made from screens that put on light and sound displays and is supposed to be a reinterpretation of the traditional Christmas tree.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 2Egypt: Mursi espionage trial adjourned and media ban imposed
- 3Crimean authorities move against Tatars and their leader
- 4Ukrainian president calls for resumption of “anti-terrorist” operations in east
- 5Medvedev calls Europe’s gas threat a ‘bluff’
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 05:58 CET Iran asks U.N. to act on U.S. ban on new ambassador
- 05:57 CET Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China ahead of visit
- 05:54 CET Vietnam sentences American to death over heroin – newspapers
- 04:48 CET Satellites show North Korea nuclear test unlikely – think tank
- 04:32 CET Pirates raid Japanese oil tanker off Malaysia, kidnap 3 crew
- 02:50 CET Brazilian Congress passes Internet bill of rights
- 01:54 CET Rwandan president says he is not ready to rule out third term
- 01:49 CET Asia tensions simmer as Obama set to arrive in Tokyo