Mike Newell has directed the latest film adaptation of Great Expectations. Helena Bonham Carter stars as Miss Haversham, alongside a host of other well-known faces including Ralph Fiennes, Robbie Coltrane, Sally Hawkins and David Walliams.
Coming only a year after the BBC’s sumptuous Christmas production, critics have commented that this take on the perenial classic, whilst being perfectly servicable, doesn’t really add anything new to the tale. It’s well acted they say and the settings and costumes are sumptuous. But they complain that it just tells the story without giving a fresh slant.
On the other hand, what the Dickens else do you want from your Christmas flick?
More information from
For the trailer see
- 1Postcards from Azerbaijan: Baku’s Old City
- 214-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 3Solveig Anspach offers tender and funny posthumous rom-com in Cannes
- 4Twisting and turning into the future – Tate Modern extension unveiled
- 5The remote mountain village that has its very own language