A far-right Hungarian MP has sparked protests after calling for Jews to be registered as threats to national security.
Hundreds of people rallied in response outside parliament in Budapest to condemn Jobbik party lawmaker Marton Gyongyosi who criticised Hungary’s foreign ministry over what he called its support for Israel.
The MP has now sought to clarify his comments saying he was questioning the loyalty of people with dual nationalities.
“What I said could be misunderstood and I’m sorry because my statement wasn’t against our Jewish compatriots. It was unequivocally targeted at dual Hungarian-Israeli citizens and the potential national security risks,” he told a news conference.
Gyongyosi has rejected calls to resign. Jewish groups say they will press for a change in parliamentary rules to allow sanctions against MPs who make similar statements.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 2Rescuers in China get aid through to quake-struck village on foot
- 3Two gunmen shot dead at art show featuring Mohammad cartoons in Texas
- 4ISIL now ‘weak,’ says Iraqi PM
- 5Ethopian Israelis protest in Tel Aviv against police brutality and racism
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:32 CET Police shoot dead two gunmen at Texas exhibit of Prophet Mohammad…
- 15:28 CET Kerry holds talks on security, al Shabaab threat in Kenya
- 15:06 CET Saudi-led alliance mulls humanitarian truce in Yemen – Arabiya TV
- 14:55 CET Israel’s Lieberman says won’t join new government
- 14:30 CET Kerry heading to Middle East this week -State Department
- 14:29 CET NATO starts anti submarine exercise in North Sea as tension with…
- 14:21 CET Burundi activist says two dead in protests; no police comment
- 14:19 CET ‘No room’ for gays in Kenya, says deputy president