28/11/12 08:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A far-right Hungarian MP has sparked protests after calling for Jews to be registered as threats to national security.
Hundreds of people rallied in response outside parliament in Budapest to condemn Jobbik party lawmaker Marton Gyongyosi who criticised Hungary’s foreign ministry over what he called its support for Israel.
The MP has now sought to clarify his comments saying he was questioning the loyalty of people with dual nationalities.
“What I said could be misunderstood and I’m sorry because my statement wasn’t against our Jewish compatriots. It was unequivocally targeted at dual Hungarian-Israeli citizens and the potential national security risks,” he told a news conference.
Gyongyosi has rejected calls to resign. Jewish groups say they will press for a change in parliamentary rules to allow sanctions against MPs who make similar statements.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq