France has become the first major European country to back the Palestinian drive for statehood at the UN.
Austria reportedly also plans to support the proposal and claims it will be joined by more than half of the EU’s 27 member states. The vote is due later this week.
France is a permanent member of the UN security council and has backed an upgrade in status for Palestine for decades.
“It is a question of political coherence,” Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told the lower house of parliament. He added that immediate and unconditional negotiations are the only way that a Palestinian state can emerge.
Israel and the United States oppose the move.
“I think that the great majority of nations will vote with us. We tried very hard to win the largest number of European countries to vote in favor” said Palestinian Ambassador to the UN, Riyad Mansour.
Upgraded status would mean the opportunity to participate in debates in the General Assembly and to join UN agencies, as well as the International Criminal Court.
Israel has promised unilateral action if the Palestinians challenge its actions in the ICC.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 2Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 3TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 4South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 5Funeral for teacher hailed a hero in South Korea ferry tragedy
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 3West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 4Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 5South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
Wires > News
- 04:42 CET Malaysia Airlines plane turns back after tyre burst on takeoff
- 04:42 CET China seizure of ship could hurt Japan business – Japan spokesman
- 02:06 CET Japan PM sends offering to Yasukuni Shrine – Japanese media
- 23:27 CET Ex-army chief, leftist to run for Egyptian presidency
- 22:55 CET Italy economy minister says 2014 growth could be above 0.8 percent…
- 21:55 CET Al Qaeda kills 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- 21:12 CET Boston Marathon looks to emerge from shadow of 2013 bombing
- 20:04 CET Technical problems delay reopening of Libya’s Zueitina oil port -…