On October 29, 2004 Yasser Arafat is on board a helicopter. The man some call “The father of Palestine’‘ is critically ill.
An air ambulance in Jordan takes him to France. Israel agrees to this and for his return to Ramallah afterwards.
The Palestinian patient is taken to Percy military Hospital near Paris. French doctors struggle in vain with a “mysterious disease.” Arafat’s health deteriorates.
On November 11, 2004 the leader of the PLO dies aged 75.
Palestinians mourn as he is buried in Ramallah. Israel doesn’t allow a service in Jerusalem as Arafat had wanted.
Rumours had circulated before but they only gained traction in July, when the Institute of Radiation Physics in Switzerland claimed to have discovered an “abnormal amount” of polonium on the personal affairs of the Palestinian leader.
Suspicions of poisoning grow and Palestinians point the finger at Israel, as Tawfik Tirawi, the President of the Palestinian Commission of Inquiry on Arafat’s death said Tuesday:
‘‘Everybody knows Israel is behind the death of Arafat.’‘
But Israel denies this. In August euronews challenged Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev on this issue:
“It’s simply not true,” he said. “And I don’t think anyone is taking these accusations seriously. And I would remind the Palestinian side that all the documents concerning Mr Arafat’s health, concerning his medical treatment, all these documents are with them. Either with the family or with the PA government. And so I would say instead of cultivating conspiracy theories why don’t you just make everything public, that surely would clear up the matter.”
So what killed Yasser Arafat? The results are likely to take months, and even then if the cause was Polonium-210, eight year’s after his death it could be too late to detect the fast-decaying substance on his body, or to know who administered it.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Zion Harvey, 8, becomes youngest to receive double hand transplant
Romanian police make record heroin seizure
Turkey pounds PKK positions in ‘anti-terror’ operation
More police for Channel Tunnel as UK and France pledge to tackle migrant crisis
Amnesty International claims Israeli military committed war crimes during Gaza conflict
Wires > News
- 21:24 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 21:05 CET U.S. democratic presidential hopeful Clinton to call for lifting…
- 20:54 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 20:39 CET Too early to say if debris in Reunion is from MH370 flight – police
- 20:14 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Syria, Iraq with 14 air…
- 20:04 CET Taliban leader, who Afghanistan says is dead, a pious enigma
- 20:00 CET Syrian PM says power crisis worsens as militants target plants
- 19:52 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion