27/11/12 19:19 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On October 29, 2004 Yasser Arafat is on board a helicopter. The man some call “The father of Palestine’‘ is critically ill.
An air ambulance in Jordan takes him to France. Israel agrees to this and for his return to Ramallah afterwards.
The Palestinian patient is taken to Percy military Hospital near Paris. French doctors struggle in vain with a “mysterious disease.” Arafat’s health deteriorates.
On November 11, 2004 the leader of the PLO dies aged 75.
Palestinians mourn as he is buried in Ramallah. Israel doesn’t allow a service in Jerusalem as Arafat had wanted.
Rumours had circulated before but they only gained traction in July, when the Institute of Radiation Physics in Switzerland claimed to have discovered an “abnormal amount” of polonium on the personal affairs of the Palestinian leader.
Suspicions of poisoning grow and Palestinians point the finger at Israel, as Tawfik Tirawi, the President of the Palestinian Commission of Inquiry on Arafat’s death said Tuesday:
‘‘Everybody knows Israel is behind the death of Arafat.’‘
But Israel denies this. In August euronews challenged Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev on this issue:
“It’s simply not true,” he said. “And I don’t think anyone is taking these accusations seriously. And I would remind the Palestinian side that all the documents concerning Mr Arafat’s health, concerning his medical treatment, all these documents are with them. Either with the family or with the PA government. And so I would say instead of cultivating conspiracy theories why don’t you just make everything public, that surely would clear up the matter.”
So what killed Yasser Arafat? The results are likely to take months, and even then if the cause was Polonium-210, eight year’s after his death it could be too late to detect the fast-decaying substance on his body, or to know who administered it.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 5Russian aircraft strike ‘extremist’ targets in Syria’s Aleppo province
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET U.S. Defense Department promises plan to defeat Islamic State
- 01:23 CET U.S. House seen passing North Korea sanctions bill Friday
- 01:04 CET Major powers agree on plan to break Syria deadlock
- 00:01 CET Taiwan city looks at developer’s other buildings after quake…
- 23:44 CET South Korea cuts off power, water into Kaesong zone in North Korea
- 23:33 CET Uncertainty at Syria talks as Russia backs government advance
- 23:20 CET U.S. blacklists prominent Islamic State preacher, two others
- 22:37 CET Einstein’s gravitational waves detected in landmark discovery