“God is great”. It is a chant from members of the Free Syrian Army which resonates across the Turkish border in a show of strength to a group of Kurdish fighters. The FSA has clashed with their former allies in some parts of northeastern Syria in a bid to gain control of towns and villages.
It is a strategic conflict to push the Kurds out of the area. They claimed success in the city of Ras al-Ayn.
Another gain too which Syrian rebels have reportedly made is a helicopter base 15 kilometres from Damascus. Activists say they destroyed two helicopters and took 15 prisoners.
To the east of the capital a Syrian government air strike has killed 10 children. A video posted on the Internet showed residents collecting bodies hit by shrapnel.
Neither of these reports could be independently verified.
Dmitry Medvedev has fired a diplomatic warning to Paris saying France’s recognition of the rebels is “totally unacceptable under international law,”.
The Russian prime minister starts a working visit to France on Monday evening.
Francois Hollande met with the head of the Syrian National coalition Mouaz Alkhatib last week when France became the first European power to recognise the group as the sole representative of the Syrian people.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:56 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker