“God is great”. It is a chant from members of the Free Syrian Army which resonates across the Turkish border in a show of strength to a group of Kurdish fighters. The FSA has clashed with their former allies in some parts of northeastern Syria in a bid to gain control of towns and villages.
It is a strategic conflict to push the Kurds out of the area. They claimed success in the city of Ras al-Ayn.
Another gain too which Syrian rebels have reportedly made is a helicopter base 15 kilometres from Damascus. Activists say they destroyed two helicopters and took 15 prisoners.
To the east of the capital a Syrian government air strike has killed 10 children. A video posted on the Internet showed residents collecting bodies hit by shrapnel.
Neither of these reports could be independently verified.
Dmitry Medvedev has fired a diplomatic warning to Paris saying France’s recognition of the rebels is “totally unacceptable under international law,”.
The Russian prime minister starts a working visit to France on Monday evening.
Francois Hollande met with the head of the Syrian National coalition Mouaz Alkhatib last week when France became the first European power to recognise the group as the sole representative of the Syrian people.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…