“God is great”. It is a chant from members of the Free Syrian Army which resonates across the Turkish border in a show of strength to a group of Kurdish fighters. The FSA has clashed with their former allies in some parts of northeastern Syria in a bid to gain control of towns and villages.
It is a strategic conflict to push the Kurds out of the area. They claimed success in the city of Ras al-Ayn.
Another gain too which Syrian rebels have reportedly made is a helicopter base 15 kilometres from Damascus. Activists say they destroyed two helicopters and took 15 prisoners.
To the east of the capital a Syrian government air strike has killed 10 children. A video posted on the Internet showed residents collecting bodies hit by shrapnel.
Neither of these reports could be independently verified.
Dmitry Medvedev has fired a diplomatic warning to Paris saying France’s recognition of the rebels is “totally unacceptable under international law,”.
The Russian prime minister starts a working visit to France on Monday evening.
Francois Hollande met with the head of the Syrian National coalition Mouaz Alkhatib last week when France became the first European power to recognise the group as the sole representative of the Syrian people.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 5Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
Put yourself in their shoes: Paris presents new twist on climate march
Palestinian shot dead after stabbing Israeli officer in Jerusalem
Wires > News
- 16:05 CET From penguins to Pope’s shoes, climate rallies pressure U.N. summit
- 15:55 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 15:53 CET Minister signals German trust could handle nuclear waste storage
- 15:24 CET Thousands gather for funeral of top Kurdish lawyer
- 15:13 CET Syria’s Assad says his enemies increasing support for insurgents
- 14:34 CET EU seeks Turkish help to slow migrants for cash, EU membership…
- 13:46 CET Slovakia to file lawsuit over EU migrant quotas before December 18…
- 13:34 CET Paris attacks a risk for recovery in Italy – minister tells…