In Catalonia, Spain, the Republican Left (ERC) are the big winners from Sunday’s regional election.
The party jumped from 11 to 21 seats in the 135-seat local parliament.
The region has seen increasing calls for independence from Spain since the financial crisis hit and ERC leader, Oriol Junqueras, says this result is a further validation:
“The people of Catalonia have expressed their will, and they have voted for the independence process.”
The election had been called by Catalan President, Artur Mas who was testing support for a new drive for independence.
His Party, the Convergence and Union Alliance (CiU) actually lost ground, falling from 62 to 50 seats, but remains by far the largest party in the regional parliament.
Following the count Artur Mas said:
“Those who enjoy this result because they think it means the process Catalonia has started has been aborted should be careful and they should do their maths.”
The election was an overall success for parties in favour of independence.
Catalan voters in the wealthy, but financially troubled region gave an almost two thirds majority to four separatist parties.
The separatist sentiments have been amplified as Catalans are increasingly frustrated with a tax system they feel is unfair.
But as Mas’s party lost ground he will find it difficult to lead a united drive to hold a referendum on secession from Spain, in defiance of the constitution and the central government in Madrid.
Something that will come as a relief to Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, who is trying to cut high borrowing costs by convincing investors of Spain’s economic and political stability.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola
- 21:27 CET U.S. Marines declare initial F-35 squadron ready for combat
- 21:25 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 21:22 CET Kerry to press Malaysia on human trafficking, not scandal
- 20:50 CET New York man charged with supporting Islamic State denied bail