In Catalonia, Spain, the Republican Left (ERC) are the big winners from Sunday’s regional election.
The party jumped from 11 to 21 seats in the 135-seat local parliament.
The region has seen increasing calls for independence from Spain since the financial crisis hit and ERC leader, Oriol Junqueras, says this result is a further validation:
“The people of Catalonia have expressed their will, and they have voted for the independence process.”
The election had been called by Catalan President, Artur Mas who was testing support for a new drive for independence.
His Party, the Convergence and Union Alliance (CiU) actually lost ground, falling from 62 to 50 seats, but remains by far the largest party in the regional parliament.
Following the count Artur Mas said:
“Those who enjoy this result because they think it means the process Catalonia has started has been aborted should be careful and they should do their maths.”
The election was an overall success for parties in favour of independence.
Catalan voters in the wealthy, but financially troubled region gave an almost two thirds majority to four separatist parties.
The separatist sentiments have been amplified as Catalans are increasingly frustrated with a tax system they feel is unfair.
But as Mas’s party lost ground he will find it difficult to lead a united drive to hold a referendum on secession from Spain, in defiance of the constitution and the central government in Madrid.
Something that will come as a relief to Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, who is trying to cut high borrowing costs by convincing investors of Spain’s economic and political stability.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Israel’s Netanyahu warns Obama against Iran nuclear deal
- 19:33 CET Obama, European leaders to discuss Ukraine, global security
- 19:06 CET Ex-CIA chief Petraeus to plead guilty in affair-related case
- 18:58 CET Three dead as Kiev accuses Ukraine rebels of shelling
- 18:44 CET Activist writer’s trial tests freedom of expression in Italy
- 18:37 CET Pope approves legal framework for financial reform
- 18:27 CET Syrian rebels reject U.N. envoy’s ceasefire plan
- 18:10 CET U.S. envoy to Yemen to work from Jeddah after embassy’s closure