In Catalonia, Spain, the Republican Left (ERC) are the big winners from Sunday’s regional election.
The party jumped from 11 to 21 seats in the 135-seat local parliament.
The region has seen increasing calls for independence from Spain since the financial crisis hit and ERC leader, Oriol Junqueras, says this result is a further validation:
“The people of Catalonia have expressed their will, and they have voted for the independence process.”
The election had been called by Catalan President, Artur Mas who was testing support for a new drive for independence.
His Party, the Convergence and Union Alliance (CiU) actually lost ground, falling from 62 to 50 seats, but remains by far the largest party in the regional parliament.
Following the count Artur Mas said:
“Those who enjoy this result because they think it means the process Catalonia has started has been aborted should be careful and they should do their maths.”
The election was an overall success for parties in favour of independence.
Catalan voters in the wealthy, but financially troubled region gave an almost two thirds majority to four separatist parties.
The separatist sentiments have been amplified as Catalans are increasingly frustrated with a tax system they feel is unfair.
But as Mas’s party lost ground he will find it difficult to lead a united drive to hold a referendum on secession from Spain, in defiance of the constitution and the central government in Madrid.
Something that will come as a relief to Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, who is trying to cut high borrowing costs by convincing investors of Spain’s economic and political stability.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 3Syrian monitoring group says at least 500 killed in Aleppo offensive
- 4‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 00:54 CET Turkey, Greece seek NATO mission in Aegean – German official
- 00:10 CET Short of options, Sri Lanka turns back to Beijing’s embrace
- 00:07 CET Auschwitz guard, 93, stands trial in Germany
- 00:06 CET With fewer U.S. troops in Afghanistan, pressure grows for more air…
- 00:01 CET North Korea satellite not transmitting, but rocket payload a…
- 23:47 CET U.S. Senate votes overwhelmingly for tougher North Korea sanctions
- 23:04 CET IMF’s Lagarde said Ukraine expresses commitment to reforms
- 22:16 CET Consternation at Austrian case of Nazi camp survivors called ‘a…