A glum Artur Mas greeted his supporters from a balcony in Barcelona. Far from winning an absolute majority, his centre-right CIU party has lost 12 seats in Catalonia’s regional election.
This is a blow in itself, but also sounds the death knell for his solo plan to push through a referendum on independence from Spain.
Some say voters have punished Mas for his austerity policies. But, putting a positive spin on the results, he assured the crowd that the election result is still worth celebrating as they have still won and with twice as many seats as their nearest competitors.
The separatist left-wing ERC has come out as the real winner in the election. Despite being in second place it has doubled its number of seats in the regional assembly to 21. Celebrations were understandably more animated at the ERC headquarters.
There were also smiles all round at the headquarters of Spain’s governing Popular Party.
“The separatists have failed,” said regional leader Alicia Sanchez Comacho. “They have fewer politicians in the regional assembly than they did two years ago. They have lost two seats. This is what Artur Mas has achieved.”
Two thirds of the electorate voted for pro-referendum parties, but support for Artur Mas has taken a knock. He now faces an uncomfortable round of political horse-trading to try and form a governing coalition.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:49 CET China says officials should learn minority languages
- 11:25 CET China to ‘regulate’ foreign NGOs with new law
- 11:12 CET Spain’s Princess Cristina to stand trial on tax fraud charges
- 10:36 CET South Korea nuclear plant operator says hacked, raising alarm
- 10:32 CET Germany to step up bird flu testing after new cases discovered
- 10:09 CET China charges Jackie Chan’s son over drug offence
- 08:48 CET Court orders partner of Sydney hostage-taker jailed
- 08:07 CET Man stages new protest on ledge of St. Peter’s in Vatican