A glum Artur Mas greeted his supporters from a balcony in Barcelona. Far from winning an absolute majority, his centre-right CIU party has lost 12 seats in Catalonia’s regional election.
This is a blow in itself, but also sounds the death knell for his solo plan to push through a referendum on independence from Spain.
Some say voters have punished Mas for his austerity policies. But, putting a positive spin on the results, he assured the crowd that the election result is still worth celebrating as they have still won and with twice as many seats as their nearest competitors.
The separatist left-wing ERC has come out as the real winner in the election. Despite being in second place it has doubled its number of seats in the regional assembly to 21. Celebrations were understandably more animated at the ERC headquarters.
There were also smiles all round at the headquarters of Spain’s governing Popular Party.
“The separatists have failed,” said regional leader Alicia Sanchez Comacho. “They have fewer politicians in the regional assembly than they did two years ago. They have lost two seats. This is what Artur Mas has achieved.”
Two thirds of the electorate voted for pro-referendum parties, but support for Artur Mas has taken a knock. He now faces an uncomfortable round of political horse-trading to try and form a governing coalition.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Wires > News
- 21:38 CET Death toll from Russian air strikes in Idlib climbs to 23 – monitor
- 21:34 CET Erdogan warns Germany ahead of Armenian genocide vote
- 21:12 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media
- 20:49 CET Sentence for Costa Concordia captain upheld over 2012 shipwreck
- 20:45 CET Libyan security forces pushing Islamic State back from vicinity of…
- 20:04 CET U.S. warns of possible Europe attacks, no specific threat
- 20:01 CET After Brexit – Roadmap for a leap in the dark
- 19:17 CET U.N. food agency prepares for deeper humanitarian crisis as battle…