A glum Artur Mas greeted his supporters from a balcony in Barcelona. Far from winning an absolute majority, his centre-right CIU party has lost 12 seats in Catalonia’s regional election.
This is a blow in itself, but also sounds the death knell for his solo plan to push through a referendum on independence from Spain.
Some say voters have punished Mas for his austerity policies. But, putting a positive spin on the results, he assured the crowd that the election result is still worth celebrating as they have still won and with twice as many seats as their nearest competitors.
The separatist left-wing ERC has come out as the real winner in the election. Despite being in second place it has doubled its number of seats in the regional assembly to 21. Celebrations were understandably more animated at the ERC headquarters.
There were also smiles all round at the headquarters of Spain’s governing Popular Party.
“The separatists have failed,” said regional leader Alicia Sanchez Comacho. “They have fewer politicians in the regional assembly than they did two years ago. They have lost two seats. This is what Artur Mas has achieved.”
Two thirds of the electorate voted for pro-referendum parties, but support for Artur Mas has taken a knock. He now faces an uncomfortable round of political horse-trading to try and form a governing coalition.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 3‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 4Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 5Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 80 in Yemen
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 13:51 CET Pentagon mulls improving Iraqi troop training after fall of Ramadi
- 13:40 CET Asia’s migrant crisis meeting unlikely to yield solutions
- 13:36 CET Commander of elite Tajik police force defects to Islamic State
- 13:31 CET U.S. training of Syria rebel fighters expands to Turkey – source
- 12:57 CET Western women who join Islamic State defy ‘jihadi bride‘…
- 12:55 CET Iran’s Zarif hopes for nuclear deal within ‘reasonable period of…
- 12:40 CET Pressure mounts on Blatter as FIFA scandal widens
- 12:09 CET Germany drops war crimes case against former SS soldier due to…