At least 120 people were killed when a fire swept through a garment factory in Bangladesh early on Sunday. The blaze broke out in the ground floor of a nine story factory on the outskirts of the capital Dhaka and quickly spread trapping hundreds of workers.
Witnesses said employees, most women, ran for safety as the fire engulfed the plant, but were unable to escape because of narrow exits.
Bangladesh is the world’s biggest exporter of clothing after China, with garments making up 80 percent of its exports, but safety standards at the numerous factories across the country are poor and not strictly enforced.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:43 CET Time for Iran to make tough decisions in nuclear talks – U.S.
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court
- 20:10 CET Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 20:07 CET ‘Unholy alliance’ of Islamists threatens Sweden – spy chief
- 19:54 CET Syrian army and Hezbollah encircle Syrian city near border – TV
- 19:51 CET Nigeria president warns against bloodshed ahead of Saturday poll
- 19:12 CET Nigerians uprooted by Boko Haram angry at losing chance to vote