25/11/12 02:07 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Polls show pro-independence parties are on track to win a majority in Catalonia’s regional election on Sunday – increasing the possibility of secession.
Support is strong for both parties on the left and right that propose breaking away from Spain and their victory could lead to a referendum.
However, on the streets of its largest province, Barcelona, there are still arguments for and against.
Barcelona resident Carme Gutierrez directed her anger at how Catalans are viewed by the rest of Spain: “If they said, ‘Hey – thanks for helping us out’ – because we do help them out. But they don’t, they say we’re bad, we’re cheap, we’re the worst thing possible. So bye, bye.”
Gemma, who also lives in Barcelona, does not want a separate Catalonia: “They always say it’s because of money, but it isn’t. We love a united Spain, the language, the culture. Catalonia has always taken people in, you can ask other people about that,” she said.
Many Catalans believe their region would be better off divorced from Madrid.
However, despite being the wealthiest part of Spain, Catalonia had to ask the central government for a five billion euro bailout.
Catalonia would also have to reapply for EU membership.
More than 5.4 million people are eligible to take part in the ballot.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’