25/11/12 02:07 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Polls show pro-independence parties are on track to win a majority in Catalonia’s regional election on Sunday – increasing the possibility of secession.
Support is strong for both parties on the left and right that propose breaking away from Spain and their victory could lead to a referendum.
However, on the streets of its largest province, Barcelona, there are still arguments for and against.
Barcelona resident Carme Gutierrez directed her anger at how Catalans are viewed by the rest of Spain: “If they said, ‘Hey – thanks for helping us out’ – because we do help them out. But they don’t, they say we’re bad, we’re cheap, we’re the worst thing possible. So bye, bye.”
Gemma, who also lives in Barcelona, does not want a separate Catalonia: “They always say it’s because of money, but it isn’t. We love a united Spain, the language, the culture. Catalonia has always taken people in, you can ask other people about that,” she said.
Many Catalans believe their region would be better off divorced from Madrid.
However, despite being the wealthiest part of Spain, Catalonia had to ask the central government for a five billion euro bailout.
Catalonia would also have to reapply for EU membership.
More than 5.4 million people are eligible to take part in the ballot.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 14Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Latest world news
Warm welcome for Pope Francis as he kicks off Mexico visit
Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
Cameron meets Merkel in last pre-summit referendum talks
Protests in Bahrain in run up to Arab Spring anniversary
Greek farmers’ pension protests bring violence to Athens
Wires > News
- 08:59 CET Central Asia’s tallest tower, being built in Kazakhstan, hit by…
- 08:40 CET Myanmar army chief to get five year extension as talks with Suu…
- 08:16 CET Australian PM in second revamp of ministry ahead of elections
- 06:58 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba