Polls show pro-independence parties are on track to win a majority in Catalonia’s regional election on Sunday – increasing the possibility of secession.
Support is strong for both parties on the left and right that propose breaking away from Spain and their victory could lead to a referendum.
However, on the streets of its largest province, Barcelona, there are still arguments for and against.
Barcelona resident Carme Gutierrez directed her anger at how Catalans are viewed by the rest of Spain: “If they said, ‘Hey – thanks for helping us out’ – because we do help them out. But they don’t, they say we’re bad, we’re cheap, we’re the worst thing possible. So bye, bye.”
Gemma, who also lives in Barcelona, does not want a separate Catalonia: “They always say it’s because of money, but it isn’t. We love a united Spain, the language, the culture. Catalonia has always taken people in, you can ask other people about that,” she said.
Many Catalans believe their region would be better off divorced from Madrid.
However, despite being the wealthiest part of Spain, Catalonia had to ask the central government for a five billion euro bailout.
Catalonia would also have to reapply for EU membership.
More than 5.4 million people are eligible to take part in the ballot.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 2Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 5Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:01 CET North Korea to bar foreign tourists over Ebola concerns – tour…
- 10:59 CET Lebanese army kills three men in raid – security sources
- 10:05 CET Exporters fail on pledge to curb bribery – watchdog
- 09:58 CET At U.N., China asked to back human rights case against North Korea
- 09:41 CET China says wants closer military ties with Iran
- 09:09 CET Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks
- 08:33 CET Eight Pakistani Shi’ites killed in sectarian attack
- 08:21 CET Russian prosecutors detain four more suspects in Total CEO plane…