Exit polls suggest current Catalan President Artur Más and his conservative Convergence and Union party will win Sunday’s regional election, maintaining its coalition but with a smaller majority.
The party is expected to win up to 57 of the 135 seats in the regional assembly. That’s down from its current 62 seats and far from the absolute majority it planned.
Another separatist party the Republican Left of Catalonia is expected to come second. According to Spain’s TV3, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s popular party will be joint third.
Más is now expected to push ahead with plans for a referendum calling for Catalan independence from Spain.
Ahead of the election, polls showed two thirds of voters would cast ballots for parties that wanted to break away from Madrid. Frustration over high unemployment and a deep recession has fuelled a separatist resurgence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:36 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on militants, nuclear…
- 03:40 CET Iraqi Christians fly to new life in France after escaping Islamic…
- 03:30 CET Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown
- 02:44 CET U.S. to deliver 10 Apache helicopters to Egypt – Pentagon
- 01:00 CET Argentine President said received Islamic State threats
- 23:39 CET Bill Clinton says must ‘do whatever it takes’ to fight Ebola
- 23:20 CET Hong Kong students to boycott class to protest China curbs on…
- 22:57 CET Bomb explodes at Hezbollah checkpoint in eastern Lebanon