Exit polls suggest current Catalan President Artur Más and his conservative Convergence and Union party will win Sunday’s regional election, maintaining its coalition but with a smaller majority.
The party is expected to win up to 57 of the 135 seats in the regional assembly. That’s down from its current 62 seats and far from the absolute majority it planned.
Another separatist party the Republican Left of Catalonia is expected to come second. According to Spain’s TV3, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s popular party will be joint third.
Más is now expected to push ahead with plans for a referendum calling for Catalan independence from Spain.
Ahead of the election, polls showed two thirds of voters would cast ballots for parties that wanted to break away from Madrid. Frustration over high unemployment and a deep recession has fuelled a separatist resurgence.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as Corbyn faces party revolt
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Millions sign referendum re-run petition
Wires > News
- 13:26 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, rocks Labour opposition
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:40 CET Iraqi forces retake Islamic State holdout in Falluja
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…