Italian teachers and students have once again hit the streets of Rome, just 10 days after protests about the latest cuts to the education budget turned violent.
Despite spending less than almost all wealthy countries on education – according to the most recent OECD figures – the Italian government has repeatedly cut spending in the sector in recent years.
‘‘We are protesting against the cuts to the education budget that were carried out by both the Berlusconi and Monti governments,” said one demonstrator.
Another student, who was in a group carrying self-made shields, said: ‘‘These are not shields to fight in clashes, we’re carrying them for effect. They have important messages on them that we’d like to send to everyone here.”
The protests went ahead without police authorisation. Security personnel stayed on high alert in case of further clashes.
Teachers and student unions are also worried about a controversial bill currently being discussed in parliament which would allow schools to bid for private funding.
Then there’s the problem of work once students leave education. The jobless rate amongst young people in Italy stands at 35 percent.
- 1Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 2What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Taliban ‘names new leader’ to replace Mullah Omar
Turkey: Three soldiers killed as anti-PKK airstrikes intensify
Cecil the lion: angry protesters gather outside Walter Palmer’s office
Migrants: UK is not a “safe haven” says Cameron
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
Wires > News
- 18:03 CET Assailant stabs four at Gay Pride march in Jerusalem – police
- 17:57 CET Unable to contact dentist about Cecil the lion’s death – …
- 17:45 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 17:20 CET Chileans spooked by crime, demand government action
- 17:11 CET Afghan Taliban name a new leader, but peace talks delayed
- 17:09 CET After Russia U.N. veto, countries seek court for Flight MH17…
- 17:03 CET France beefs up the security of military bases
- 16:32 CET Israel’s secret-keeper seeks censorship reform