Workers from the large American retailer Walmart have defied management to stage a series of strikes and demonstrations over pay and conditions, on what is usually the busiest shopping day of the year.
They accused the company of trying to gag them. Walmart has played down the protest’s significance.
Retailers across the US have been concentrating on the “Black Friday” post-holiday rush after Thanksgiving.
Fewer Americans were expected to go shopping compared to last year, down from 152 million to 147 million according to the National Retail Federation.
However the sales are still a huge attraction for many, and the run-up to Christmas is the most important time of the year for retailers.
Some stores opened earlier than usual, on Thursday night. Despite the crisis, electronics goods and toys were expected to disappear quickly from the shelves.
“We’ve seen that in good times and bad the last thing parents cut back on is a holiday present for their kids. So even in the depths of the recession in 2008-2009 our sales grew during the holiday period, and so we feel that toy sales are somewhat independent of the economic situation in the US,” said Terry Lundgren, Chief Executive of Toys R Us.
Some surveys show a large increase in online sales – up by 15-20 per cent compared to last year.
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Search resumes for clues as to why Germanwings plane crashed in French Alps
- 3[Live updates] Germanwings crash investigators still searching for second Black Box
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Germanwings crash: Witnesses describe moment of impact
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:31 CET Pope Francis meets homeless on private visit to Sistine Chapel
- 20:09 CET Arab foreign ministers agree on unified military force
- 20:00 CET Israeli settlements may have already killed two-state bid – U.N.
- 19:39 CET Displacement doubles in north Cameroon in flight from Boko Haram
- 19:35 CET German police search house of pilot who flew A320 into mountain
- 19:28 CET Rouhani speaks with French, British, Russian leaders as nuclear…
- 19:25 CET Argentine court throws out appeal of decision clearing Fernandez
- 19:01 CET Yemeni leader Hadi leaves country as Saudi Arabia keeps up air…