The reknowned sculptor Anish Kapoor has made a “Gangnam Style” video in support of the Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei.
The moves in “Gangnam for Freedom,” are the work of leading choreographer Akram Khan and the dance features prominent figures from the British art world.
English National Ballet’s prima ballerina Tamara Rojo plays the role of “sexy lady.”
In the new video Kapoor echoes a version made by Ai Weiwei that angered the Chinese authorities.
He wears handcuffs and his mouth is taped up.
Anish Kapoor said: “This is about dissidents, all those people in the world who’re imprisoned unfairly, poets, writers, journalists, etc. My colleague Ai Weiwei of course made a Gangnam Style video. It was taken off the web within 24 hours in China, and we’re hoping we’ll replace it.”
There are also contributions from galleries around the world including the Museum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim, and the Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego.
The original song and video by the South Korean pop star Psy has become a global hit and spawned many imitations.
Amnesty International said it is “a rousing and captivating way to bring some serious fun to a serious issue.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse